+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sonic Signature

I'm Rob.

Default Sonic Signature

I have often seen people say that when they get a new component or up-grade an existing one "it does not seem to add or subtract anything" which suggests that what they are hearing is to them a purer representation than what they were hearing before.

How do you know?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    I have often seen people say that when they get a new component or up-grade an existing one "it does not seem to add or subtract anything" which suggests that what they are hearing is to them a purer representation than what they were hearing before.

How do you know?
    Always cracks me up, that one. Unless you were present at the recording session, the only insight you have into the recording is listening to it via one or more different systems. There's no way of knowing what a particular component has added, taken away, or changed.

I'm Martin.

Box swappers can tell.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Kevin.

X swappers can tell it sounds different from the last system they heard it on.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

If you hear more detail, more transparency, tighter bass and so on. Has something been added? Or has something been taken away?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    X swappers can tell it sounds different from the last system they heard it on.
    Different, maybe. Closer to the original? How can they tell, apart from a vague feeing that 'it sounds so good, this must be how it was meant to sound'?

I'm Martin.

You really want a serious answer to this question? Okay,

1) we are attempting accurate replay of the original recording post mastering, not re-creating the original performance. No need to have been there for any of it.

2) If it sounds good you are on the right track as almost all recordings sound good if the kit isn't cocking them up.

3) All recordings have to sound good not just girl with guitar or bloke playing cello - no exceptions. If so you are on the right track. If not and only some recordings sound good that is because the kit is faking it by adding 'sonic signature'. All kit has sonic signature, especially speakers, we can't get away from that but the less signature the more likely all recordings will sound good.

4) 'Sounds good' does not mean you decided you liked it. If you have to analyse then it isn't that good. You know good when you hear it. No thinking needed.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Rob.

It is all subjective though isn't it?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Martin.

It's only subjective around the edges.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    It is all subjective though isn't it?
    Even objectivism is open to interpretation, making it all subjective.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast