+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BBC4: Play it Loud: The Story of the Marshall Amp

I'm Geoff.

not just one, though yes there was one in particular!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I've fixed hundreds of 'em and they're nowt special.... (not bad neither though, and they did make a few iconic models). Usual case of the biggest company with the most instantly recognisable brand name gets all the kudos....
    Same as if you ask joe public non biker to name a really good motorbike they'll likely say Harley Davidson.... LOL!
    Completely not the case Jez, obviously you didn't watch the documentary, Jim Marshall started out his amp business from his music shop and copied an American amp (it's name escapes me) but because he couldn't get hold of the same parts, he used what was available, the distortion was an accident, but luckily was what the guitarists were looking for. The reason for the success was down to the fact that a lot of up and coming bands of the time hung out in his shop and bought their instruments from him, he just happened to make the right product and importantly, listened to his customers developing his products to suit their needs.

Maybe next time watch the program before making a comment....

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Completely not the case Jez, obviously you didn't watch the documentary, Jim Marshall started out his amp business from his music shop and copied an American amp (it's name escapes me) but because he couldn't get hold of the same parts, he used what was available, the distortion was an accident, but luckily was what the guitarists were looking for. The reason for the success was down to the fact that a lot of up and coming bands of the time hung out in his shop and bought their instruments from him, he just happened to make the right product and importantly, listened to his customers developing his products to suit their needs.

Not only have I watched it I was well aware of the background anyway and I'm an official Marshall service agent. He was lucky in that several people he knew in bands and as customers became really famous just as he was trying to expand from a garage builder to something bigger... A good international distributor saw the potential, took them on and handled the advertising etc... the rests history. Today they are probably the pre-eminent brand in guitar amplifiers and that combined with their history gives them instant brand recognition and kudos. Did they have superb designs, amazing build quality and top of the range components? No. Did they work bloody hard and also have some VERY lucky breaks? Yes.
    The Who famously moved on to using better designed and built plus more powerful (and yes more expensive IIRC) Hi-Watt amplifiers.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post

It was a Fender amp he copied , (I forget the exact model name )one that was mainly for bass quitars according to the documentary - very good viewing ,and the prog before it where James may rebuilt the Dansette Bermuda record player
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    It was a Fender amp he copied , (I forget the exact model name )one that was mainly for bass quitars according to the documentary - very good viewing ,and the prog before it where James may rebuilt the Dansette Bermuda record player
    It was the Fender Bassman that was copied.
    When it was opened up it was found to be a well known and standard circuit.
    Marshall, operating in post war Britain, sourced the UK equivalent components from Army Surplus stores, and that's the reason why the amps sounded different.
    The transformers were wound differently, and the valves were UK equivalents to the US types.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

RothwellAudio Guest

I have an early 50W Marshall and there's something about old Marshalls that seems to have escaped the entire rest of the world - they sound great at low volumes!!
    Yes, they don't have the classic rock guitar sound when quiet, but they make a superb jazz amp with a lovely "springy" feel. Shhh... don't tell anyone

I'm Grant.

Bro has one that he uses for his keyboard strangely. Sounds great as well. Had been a band one for guitar or bass. Seems to work well for keys too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I have an early 50W Marshall and there's something about old Marshalls that seems to have escaped the entire rest of the world - they sound great at low volumes!!
    Yes, they don't have the classic rock guitar sound when quiet, but they make a superb jazz amp with a lovely "springy" feel. Shhh... don't tell anyone
    They are really nice sounding if you're not caning them, with plenty of overhead.
    But as you say, that's not what people buy them for.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Bro has one that he uses for his keyboard strangely. Sounds great as well. Had been a band one for guitar or bass. Seems to work well for keys too.
    Jon Lord (Deep Purple) used to feed his Hammond B3 through Marshall heads and cabinets.

Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12