+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Equipment layout advice

I'm Neil.

Default Equipment layout advice

I can understand why, say a phono stage in a plastic case could suffer being near other components, especially considering the signal levels to be amplified. At large signal levels like with power amps (with a grounded case) I struggle more to understand why or how.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Geoff.

I keep my monoblocks together. Makes no difference that I can hear. Mind you, I do make sure the 'left' one is to the left and the 'right' one on the right.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Although I have mine on each speaker Ive had them together and not noticed much if any difference.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gerald.

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    Have you a gallery thread Gerald? Some interesting kit you've got there.
    I will be putting up a gallery thread in the next couple of days Jason believes in simples designs built with good quality componants we have sourced parts from all over the world .
    the only items we are waiting on is the power supplys that are being custom made in poland uk price is over 1k custom built to his spec £250.00 (daighters have bought them for me as a early crimbo pressie ) delivered within 14 days only job left is build the Ikea lack rack powder coat the end plates I fancy a nice funk purple and also having a lid frame built that will have purple perspex inserted on the top .
    I can not put the mono blocks by the speakers mrs put her foot down on that I lost that battle but won the war on the rest of the kit

I'm Stephen.

Mono-bloc amplifiers when placed close to each other on the same shelf can affect each other's performance in an adverse way.

The spurious electromagnetic influences given-off by the power supplies can affect each others performance. Sonically, this can result in a softer, less transparent audio delivery and dynamics can be reduced, together with resolution.

That's the whole point of having mono-blocs, so you can position them right by the speakers and reap the rewards of completely separated channel information in their own chassis and individual power supplies, no left and right bleed-over, you get enhanced stereo imaging, pin-point focus and improved sound-stage.

Each and every time I've separated mono-blocs, all of the above has been observed, and this is with differing brands.

The more air space you provide between electronic components, the more improved the sound.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by weetabix View Post
    Mono-bloc amplifiers when placed close to each other on the same shelf can affect each other's performance in an adverse way.

The spurious electromagnetic influences given-off by the power supplies can affect each others performance. Sonically, this can result in a softer, less transparent audio delivery and dynamics can be reduced, together with resolution.

That's the whole point of having mono-blocs, so you can position them right by the speakers and reap the rewards of completely separated channel information in their own chassis and individual power supplies, no left and right bleed-over, you get enhanced stereo imaging, pin-point focus and improved sound-stage.

Each and every time I've separated mono-blocs, all of the above has been observed, and this is with differing brands.

The more air space you provide between electronic components, the more improved the sound.
    That's very interesting. I will separate them as far as possible and see what difference, of any, I notice.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Probably little difference to most ears. It's not as if it's a pair of 303's we're talking about after all.
    With all of these small tweaks we should remember that most people who can afford pricey kit like monoblocks etc are of an age where their hearing is on the wane.
    Last edited by agk; 06-12-2017 at 14:10. Reason: Grammar

I'm Martin.

I'm a little skeptikal of the idea that seperating monoblocks improves stereo seperation.

I always thought the reason for monoblocks was portability. So you could use big traffos and heatsinks but it would still be liftable. Unlike a dual mono amp of the same design. I know you can get dinky little monoblocks now but I can't see thr point of that unless it is just easier to make them that way.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by weetabix View Post
    Sounds unlikely to me. What research is this observation based upon?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    Probably little difference to most ears. It's not as if it's a pair of 303's we're talking about after all.
    With all of these small tweaks we should remember that most people who can afford pricey kit like monoblocks etc are of an age where their hearing is on the wane.
    Glad I'm not in the "main" lol.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast