+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Media Streaming Options

I'm jp.

I do have home plugs and it is one of the routes that I've tried. The problem I found is during a power outage or other issue the power adptor would lose connection with the primary network and require an additional process to get the network back up and all units talking.

All of this wasn't so much of an issue when I listened to the system more and had more time before children but now each time I have power outage it would take 15-20 minutes to get the NAS, Home plugs, SBT back on line to listen to a piece of music (by which time my window of opportunity has passed) it is exactly this reason the SBT has been sat in position for the last 18 months without being powered up again.

In reality I think I know I need to bite the bullit and have a new hardwired connection between primary router and living space put in, it's not a massive house but I suspecty teh sketchy wi-fi is due to having to pass through a couple of external walls where extensions have been put in.

I am making progress but primarily in reminding myself of my grumpy side and reminding myself of the previous issues I found. Cds have been archived in the loft years ago so I have been listening to only 20 CDs over the last 18 months which is now quite painful.

I'm jp.

Quote Originally Posted by r100 View Post
    My gut feeling is that your network is not as robust as it could be. If you have access to the router, you could maybe get some statistics (errors, drops, etc.) and determine what the problem is. IMHO, that is the first step to insure a frustration free listening experience. Just my 2cts
    The primary network is indeed like that. The SBT network is hardwired only between SBT/NAS & router and not connected to the primary network or outside world. As such to get ipeng or such to work I had to change wi-fi networks on my phone and then couldn't surf until I swapped back to our primary network.

I think you have however hit the nail on the head WRT the robustness of the network and in reviewing the issues this is the route cause of me considering ditching a SBT based system but an issue that is likely to be present with other systems I've considered above. Happy days :-)

We've only recently had fibre to our area and our internet connection was also previously sketchy at best and could be unusable for days, not related but I suspect this exacerbated my reluctance to "fix the network" at the time or integrate the SBT on a network that constantly required rebooting and fixing.

The wi-fi is now reliable in the living room but not at a data rate sufficient to support WAV/hi-def streaming. Squeeze Server on the NAS running via the IP address on a hardwired laptop to teh network was still a bit slow to respond so I suspect the NAS processor is not much better than the SBT for thsi qty of files?

Thinking about this, if i went raspberry Pi/Pi Digi + from IQAudio and attached a USB SSD directly then the wi-fi would only have to "control" the Pi. It wouldn't give me auto ripping and is essentially mirroring what a SBT and usb SSD would provide but hopefully faster to respond?

Is there actually any benefit in the Pi/SSD route?

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by diceman View Post
    ..... Is there actually any benefit in the Pi/SSD route?
    It would be 100% silent

I'm Alan.

If i was thinking of going pi/ssd route i woukd buy the ssd first and plug it into the touch, it could be a lot more reliable than your present setup with power outs, pi is going to take more precious time. I am tempted to the pi but only as a SQ upgrade.
    Modified SB Receiver, SB Touch, GustardX16 DAC, Mitchell Alecto Mk2 Upgraded, DCB1 hot rod with BTFSystems LDR and input board, Club27 Kurt Mk2 with crossover upgrade and Laquor pack, Tannoy XT6F, IPL S2TLK CD3, Pioneer PL550 (thanks Andrew) Various TDA1541 CDP's, too much shit I dont use to list.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I'll be going the pissed route, once I get into those cold beers in the fridge. :-)
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alan.

Modified SB Receiver, SB Touch, GustardX16 DAC, Mitchell Alecto Mk2 Upgraded, DCB1 hot rod with BTFSystems LDR and input board, Club27 Kurt Mk2 with crossover upgrade and Laquor pack, Tannoy XT6F, IPL S2TLK CD3, Pioneer PL550 (thanks Andrew) Various TDA1541 CDP's, too much shit I dont use to list.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by diceman View Post
    The primary network is indeed like that. The SBT network is hardwired only between SBT/NAS & router and not connected to the primary network or outside world. As such to get ipeng or such to work I had to change wi-fi networks on my phone and then couldn't surf until I swapped back to our primary network.

I think you have however hit the nail on the head WRT the robustness of the network and in reviewing the issues this is the route cause of me considering ditching a SBT based system but an issue that is likely to be present with other systems I've considered above. Happy days :-)

We've only recently had fibre to our area and our internet connection was also previously sketchy at best and could be unusable for days, not related but I suspect this exacerbated my reluctance to "fix the network" at the time or integrate the SBT on a network that constantly required rebooting and fixing.

The wi-fi is now reliable in the living room but not at a data rate sufficient to support WAV/hi-def streaming. Squeeze Server on the NAS running via the IP address on a hardwired laptop to teh network was still a bit slow to respond so I suspect the NAS processor is not much better than the SBT for thsi qty of files?

Thinking about this, if i went raspberry Pi/Pi Digi + from IQAudio and attached a USB SSD directly then the wi-fi would only have to "control" the Pi. It wouldn't give me auto ripping and is essentially mirroring what a SBT and usb SSD would provide but hopefully faster to respond?

Is there actually any benefit in the Pi/SSD route?
    The first two highlighted bits relate directly to my initial comment, and my initial suspicions, that your home network needs properly sorting out.

The third highlighted bit raises a couple of things.
    You mention Squeeze Server - this is a very old version of server program. It should be upgraded to something much more recent.
    It also indicates that your NAS might be a bit long in the tooth, and slightly under powered as a result.

You also mention issues streaming WAV - this is why all but the earliest Squeezebox players support FLAC playback natively.
    When you rip a CD, the initial rip is a WAV file, and following this external compression can be applied. This is how FLAC works. The compresson applied is lossless, and the file is capable of being streamed more efficiently over the network, because the quantity of data being streamed is smaller.
    At the player end the data is stored in buffer, and is decompressed back to its original form for playback. So the file being played is WAV.

FLAC is a much more sensible way of streaming lossless audio data from storage to player.
    You still need robust network to make things function properly.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm jp.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    The first two highlighted bits relate directly to my initial comment, and my initial suspicions, that your home network needs properly sorting out.

The third highlighted bit raises a couple of things.
    You mention Squeeze Server - this is a very old version of server program. It should be upgraded to something much more recent.
    It also indicates that your NAS might be a bit long in the tooth, and slightly under powered as a result.

You also mention issues streaming WAV - this is why all but the earliest Squeezebox players support FLAC playback natively.
    When you rip a CD, the initial rip is a WAV file, and following this external compression can be applied. This is how FLAC works. The compresson applied is lossless, and the file is capable of being streamed more efficiently over the network, because the quantity of data being streamed is smaller.
    At the player end the data is stored in buffer, and is decompressed back to its original form for playback. So the file being played is WAV.

FLAC is a much more sensible way of streaming lossless audio data from storage to player.
    You still need robust network to make things function properly.
    It's an old Netgear Readynas Duo V1 (one of the few that were originally suggested to work well with Squeezebox). I'm not sure if there is a difference if I called the squeezebox server the wrong name, are there different generations e.g. logitech Media server, Squeeze Server etc etc - TBH I have no reccolection at present on the exact name but the standard nas control software has a box to tick for running it as well as iTunes Server. I don't know if it is even possible to upgrade it TBH. Is this worth looking into more? I guess if it's useless I may be able to rip it apart and reuse the box for a Raspberry Pi and hard drives!

The decsion for WAV was deliberate (albeit possibly flawed) I had wante dto keep everything in native format to avoid the whims of time and support of different compression formats.

I'm Barry.

There's a pi/dac for sale in the classifieds for £55, add a usb drive for about £50 and your have a top class unit for a little over £100.

I'm jp.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit1cat View Post
    There's a pi/dac for sale in the classifieds for £55, add a usb drive for about £50 and your have a top class unit for a little over £100.
    Thanks for your heads up, I was very tempted to have a bash with it but.... It's a pi2 though which I believe doesn't have onboard wifi. I'd prefer as much to be integrated to ensure it actually connects!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast