+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Visit to Tom's Place (Montesquieu)

I'm Justin.

Musical interlude...

Had to edit the first link as Jimmy made an appearance...
    Last edited by User211; 20-03-2015 at 12:59.

montesquieu Guest

Had a visit from Matt 'schneiderhan' yesterday ... seven glorious hours of Lieder (almost uninterrupted, barring a spot of lunch) huge fun and listening materialc covered everything from Willi Domgraff Fassbaender on 78 in 1934, to the latest and greatest from the Wigmore ... though I think we both have a soft spot for the giants of the 50s and 60s, Fischer Dieskau, Prey, Schwartzkopf .... Matt has a penchant for Peter Schreier .... I'm not quite such a fan but can handle him in small doses!

Matt is great company and filled in quite a few gaps in my knowledge of both composers and performers which was hugely appreciated.

Conclusion is I need to do two things:

1) after 18 months in the new house it's time I sorted out the totally random way my records and CDs are ordered (actually, 'ordered' isn't the word)
    2) after 18 months I need to have a new classical music day. This will be a Saturday or Sunday in May, I've decided. Watch this space! (And don't worry other music than Lieder will be allowed, indeed if Jerry wants to bring his Shostakovich he'll be most welcome).

I'm Matt.

It was a really interesting day. I share with Tom a Radford (sadly it's just an STA15 - I adore it beyond measure) and a Thorens 124 and I recently bought the Ortofon SUT (6600) that Tom was selling which sounds incredible with modern / vintage SPUs.

Not much to add to what Paul (RFC) said about the sound of Tom's system and a quick bit of jazz really showed what it could do - absolutely wonderful (there's not much bass on Lieder recordings!).

Learnt quite a few things from Tom along with some potential new discoveries. And yes I admit I have an unhealthy obsession with Peter Schreier who is very much an acquired taste on account of his sometimes unpleasant tone and over-emphasis of words. But his clear diction is second to none and I think he does tell you what some of those songs are really about. There are of course endless possibilities of expression when you match words to music as decades of (inferior! - only joking) popular music also show.

BTW we did also plug in Anthony's AOS amp (the Yaqin which Ian W once owned and which is in my possession) and it produced a great sound that you could happily listen to all day long! No surprise that it matched the Tannoys so well given its pedigree.

PS I'm listening to Shostakovich quartets at the moment so I'm good with that!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Great stuff, chaps! Always good to hear about successful little get-togethers

Not surprised the TD (modded Yaqin) amp worked well with Tom's Tannoys, Matt - just imagine what a Copper amp would be like!

Oh, and Shosty roolz!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Josie.

Yup, sounds like a great get together. Love them Tannoy's... they look the biz.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Great stuff, chaps! Always good to hear about successful little get-togethers

Not surprised the TD (modded Yaquin) amp worked well with Tom's Tannoys, Matt - just imagine what a Copper amp would be like!

Oh, and Shosty roolz!!

Marco.

I'm not one who generally speaks in an immodest way, but from many, many amp trials with Tannoys, I would venture to suggest the big Radford would give the copper amp a run for its money ... if you are up for a shootout sometime

I'm Josie.

FIGHT...! FIGHT...!
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I'm not one who generally speaks in an immodest way, but from many, many amp trials with Tannoys, I would venture to suggest the big Radford would give the copper amp a run for its money ... if you are up for a shootout sometime...
    Lol... I'm sure it would - it's an excellent amp. I'll certainly bring the Copper amp down when I visit. Are you going to Scalford at the weekend? If so, we can chat and arrange a date

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... I'm sure it would - it's an excellent amp. I'll certainly bring the Copper amp down when I visit. Are you going to Scalford at the weekend? If so, we can chat and arrange a date

Marco.

Sounds great Marco.

I won't be at Scalford as have guests from overseas here ... I normally do a Tai Chi retreat at a Buddhist monastery the week before Easter anyway, so I've missed the last couple of years as that's been the date, only this year I've had to cancel the retreat as well due to the visitors. (There will be another one in France in October so I'll do that one instead).

Generally speaking I'm around and I work from home a lot so can be flexible about timing as well. Would be really great to have you down. I'm 10min off the M3 J4 and 15min from the M4 J10 so fairly easy to get to.

Sounds great, Tom. We'll so something in April then, yeah? Will let you know when nearer the time, probably be nearer the end of the month. I'll bring a few toys down... Should be a good sesh!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast