+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY RCA cables - pure silver vs silver coated copper

I'm Lawrence.

Default DIY RCA cables - pure silver vs silver coated copper

I've got the chance to get some silver coated cables, 4 strands in a litz weave, I'm just wondering if it will make a decent cable. Does anyone know the answers to these questions please?

-Does it have some of the beneficial properties of pure silver cable?

-It has a thin plastic coating round the strands, does the litz weave make up for the lack of thick shielding?

Could it make a decent speaker cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Adrian.

Without getting into cable wars - I've researched this and some think that the silver plating/skin effect leads to phase distortion. Pure is better.

Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

Bigman80 Guest

From what I've read, the silver plate carries the HF and the copper carries the LF. Can sound good as I have some my TT at present. They sound very good to me. Lots of bottom end and really good detail.

This kind of thread always causes a row lol

Get some and try it.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks I agree that "suck it and see" is the best way to find out given the disparate views on cables in general.

@Bigman80 do you use a branded cable? I would be interested in seeing some reviews for silver plated copper cables.

I'll get enough cables made up to change my system from the current pure silver cabling and decide which suits me best. As I don't want low quality plugs to be the weak spot in the chain what are good quality but also good value RCAs to use?

I'm Adrian.

According to some (I'm being so bloody careful) hi frequencies are carried on the outer skin of any cable - and it's the migration from one metal type to the other that can cause distortion - perceived as extra detail.

My ane-s are internally wired with ludicrously expensive silver cable (500£ 0.5m) but until I changed my copper speaker cables to.... copper cables... didn't sound particularly detailed! They do now, but not because of the silver - just a different type of copper/construction cable.

I figured that if I wanted to bring about a real change then it would be better to begin at the arm, followed by interconnects, but as there are hundreds of meters of copper cabling in the transformers of my valve amps I couldn't see the point - if copper softens the detail from upstream silver...

Hmmmm

Adey

Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Lawrence.

Interesting points there. Yes putting in £1000/m cable in series with a different (presumably cheaper) cable does seem to be counter intuitive.

This all began with my Hifiman headphones which use a silver plated litz cable, and I like the sound but it is possible the apparent detail is actually skin induced distortion.

I'm Adrian.

It's a difficult subject to discuss as opinions are so polarised. I've read and reread and read and reread countless articles and forum posts to try and find an answer when looking to replace my speaker cables and interconnects. Logic told me to use the same silver audio note silver cabling and maintain type - but I just couldn't justify spending 2k on a couple of metres. Plus litz is not the best speaker cable for valve amps - which according to some prefer solid core - and as the last bit of wire is in the transformers which are solid magnet wire I figure theres some logic in it. Hence the isolda which is solid.

For interconnects I reckon it's worth a try - but I'd still go for solid over plated.

Adey

Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Without getting into cable wars - I've researched this and some think that the silver plating/skin effect leads to phase distortion. Pure is better.

Adey

What is this strange new science of which you speak?

If you needed ultimate efficiency of power transfer at frequencies of around 2MHz then litz (shortened from litzendraht, German for woven or stranded wire) may increase efficiency, by minimising skin effect and proximity effect, such that there may be an improvement of maybe 2-6%... but bugger all effect at audio frequencies.

Phase distortion due to the metallic make up of a conductor is impossible.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Chris.

IMO the definitive read about cables and audio frequencies is written by Cyril Bateman
    here discussing the speaker amp cable relationship so a wee bit off topic.

http://www.waynekirkwood.com/images/...nteraction.pdf

Also
    http://www.waynekirkwood.com/images/...ing_Cables.pdf

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    IMO the definitive read about cables and audio frequencies is written by Cyril Bateman
    here discussing the speaker amp cable relationship so a wee bit off topic.

http://www.waynekirkwood.com/images/...nteraction.pdf

Also
    http://www.waynekirkwood.com/images/...ing_Cables.pdf
    +1

Great article.

As Jez points out, there is little evidence for any phase distortion between dissimilar metals in signal interconnects with audio frequencies. That's a myth popularised by forums and marketeers, one of those things that's repeated so often that some people then believe it and propagate it further. Litz braid (as apposed to pure litz wire) is a BAD idea for a single ended interconnect as there is no common mode noise rejection in play, so screening effectiveness is practically zero, plus capacitance is usually quite high. The capacitance doesn't matter as much for signal cables (except where used for phono leads from MM cartridges) as it does for loudpeaker cables but the braided cables irrespective of being silver, gold or unobtanium are bested in almost every area by inexpensive copper coaxial cables where single ended circuits are concerned.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast