+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Valve System 2017

I'm Martin.

You've certainly been on a rolling offensive with this set up recently, Shaun. Agree with your comments about the Achromat. It is the only mat of those I have tried that improves the sound rather than just changing it.

Why did you go for the B&W? Did you consider other options?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shaun.

Martin, I considered mini monitors like the Sterling Broadcast Monitor and also the B&W CM1 but decided I just couldn't live with the lack of low bass. I heard the CM1's at a local hi-fi dealer and really loved their sound but was swayed towards the CM8's by the same dealer. It quickly became apparent that this dealer didn't have any in stock and was expecting me to order and pay for them without even hearing them so I left and went to the dealer I eventually bought them off. Given that I liked my old Kef's so much, I did also seriously consider the KEF R500's but I now think I made the correct decision.

I'm Shaun.

I also listened to floostanders by Dali but their treble was just too extreme.

I'm Russell.

A beautiful system! I'm sure it is everything you say it is. I may be building a second system with tubes. But your last purchase for 2017? The year is young! Never say never. I'm sure your 'table and arm could make great use of a more expensive cartridge. I myself am thinking hard on a low output moving coil. Do you own a record cleaning machine? I waited 30 years to buy one. And now I don't think I could life without it. My Pro-Ject VS-C has made a greater improvement in vinyl playback than my last cartridge upgrade! Even brand new records seem to benefit from a vacuum cleaning.

But I agree, every now and then, we need to concentrate on our music collections, and that's hard to do when monies keep buying new gear.

But your rig looks awesome, congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Martin, I considered mini monitors like the Sterling Broadcast Monitor and also the B&W CM1 but decided I just couldn't live with the lack of low bass. I heard the CM1's at a local hi-fi dealer and really loved their sound but was swayed towards the CM8's by the same dealer. It quickly became apparent that this dealer didn't have any in stock and was expecting me to order and pay for them without even hearing them so I left and went to the dealer I eventually bought them off. Given that I liked my old Kef's so much, I did also seriously consider the KEF R500's but I now think I made the correct decision.
    These people are crazy. It is a wonder they make any sales at all.

I think you made the right decision sticking with bigger boxes; if the room is suitable then there is no good reason not to go large.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shaun.

OK, so I know that when it comes to valves, this is what everyone wants to see.
    Prima Luna Dialogue Premium valve power amp
    This is my current (geddit) pride and joy along with the Interspace deck. I honestly do think I now have the finest system I have ever had since becoming involved with hi-fi after a motorcycle smash around 1977.
    The one thing that music played this way enables me to do is to completely zone out and relax so much that I am almost asleep.
    Of course maybe not Metallica.

I'm Nathan.

You have a very very nice system there and I'm totally jealous.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by nuff View Post

You have a very very nice system there and I'm totally jealous.
    Nathan, I am quite sure my system would be totally wrong for you or anyone else, please do not be jealous.

I see though that we share the same gorgeous turntable.
    Last edited by Haselsh1; 01-04-2017 at 11:20. Reason: Addn.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Nathan, I am quite sure my system would be totally wrong for you or anyone else, please do not be jealous.

I see though that we share the same gorgeous turntable.
    We do indeed and I'm very very happy with it. It's the best performer for me yet.
    I've just decided to let go my SME 3009 S2 and have just bought myself a Jelco SA-750E 10"
    I have a Denon DL-103C1.cartridge so a perfect match. It's in need of a re-tip but should sound great once expert stylus have fitted a paratrace stylus for me.

I have a spare NA badge here if you would like 1? An AoS member made them for me but the spare is just sat here. Yours if you want it. Just PM your address.

I'm Shaun.

Hey, many thanks for the offer but my Interspace already has a badge on it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast