+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frontend upgrade path

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Svend.

Alex - wow! Great to hear that that simple little tweak made so much difference. Makes me want to hurry up and sort that out on my Heybrook now.

Geoff, would removing the base plate be preferable to just damping it with bitumen or sorbothane? I think that in the Heybrook the plinth is sufficiently braced that the flimsy base plate really doesn't add anything to the rigidity of the whole affair. But I wonder if the bitumen would stop the resonating sufficiently that I could just leave it on. Presently it's supporting the rather wide cones that the deck is sitting on, so if I took it off I'd have to use other feet or add blocks to the plinth. The other option, I suppose, is to cut a large hole in the base plate to open up the air space, and then dampen the remainder with bitumen.

Alex, as for spikes, I think the impact of placing the deck on spikes depends in part on what component rack it's presently sitting on. In my case, the Heybrook is in a large armoire with particleboard shelving (not ideal, I know, but for now it's all we've got), and placing it on three small size Michell Tenderfeet cones made a very significant difference. If your rack has excellent isolation then you may notice a more subtle difference. You just have to try it. But it's a cheap experiment and is instantly reversible - just slip the cones under (hold 'em with double-sided tape if need be) and have a listen. If no change, then use them under your CD player or something else. For what you get, the Michell feet are a little pricey here in Canada -- Parts Connexion in Burlington has lots of other options for less money.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/isolation_connex.html
    http://www.artech-electronics.com/canada/index.html

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Geoff, would removing the base plate be preferable to just damping it with bitumen or sorbothane?
    In my opinion, removal of the base cover is likely to be the best option. Ensuring of course that precautions are taken to ensure that anything with live mains voltage is covered or inaccessible.

The opened base/plinth sides can be lined with damping sheet, possibly to good effect.

Rigidly fixed spikes or cones may be helpful. I'd not use double sided tape to fix them, as that introduces a small amount of compliance, defeating the intended rigidity. Glue on or screw on I'd say.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    In my opinion, removal of the base cover is likely to be the best option. Ensuring of course that precautions are taken to ensure that anything with live mains voltage is covered or inaccessible.

The opened base/plinth sides can be lined with damping sheet, possibly to good effect.

Rigidly fixed spikes or cones may be helpful. I'd not use double sided tape to fix them, as that introduces a small amount of compliance, defeating the intended rigidity. Glue on or screw on I'd say.
    Yes, that's why I wanted to ask first if it would make sense to put Systemdek on spikes. Because I would glue the spikes with crazy glue, but if it turns out it degrades the sound, I'm not sure whether it would be possible to unglue them?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Yes, that's why I wanted to ask first if it would make sense to put Systemdek on spikes. Because I would glue the spikes with crazy glue, but if it turns out it degrades the sound, I'm not sure whether it would be possible to unglue them?
    As a try out, you can stand the spikes the 'wrong way up' (points up) on your turntable stand or shelf and have the points against the wood turntable base. That'll give much of a similar effect to having spikes the correct way up and obviously easily undone. Then you'll get an idea if it's worth pursuing with spikes bonded to the base (the right way up of course).

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    As a try out, you can stand the spikes the 'wrong way up' (points up) on your turntable stand or shelf and have the points against the wood turntable base. That'll give much of a similar effect to having spikes the correct way up and obviously easily undone. Then you'll get an idea if it's worth pursuing with spikes bonded to the base (the right way up of course).
    Excellent advice, thanks Geoff.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread