+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Russia 2018

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Yes Ive been thinking about this new school England team vs the old guard. Just like our policemen they look very young to me All the oldies have now been cleared out and it seems to be reaping results. I dont have a short memory with Southgate though and dont think I can ever forgive his clangers
    Lol... I can appreciate that.

However, as a Scot/Italian his clangers don't really mean much to me, so I'm judging him purely on his managerial ability, which so far, for me, has been excellent - on all levels, especially in respect to man management. He's still got a lot to learn though, but for me it looks like the Allardyce fiasco was a blessing in disguise!

If Im deadly honest they looked fairly competent but not Belgian levels of competence...
    Indeed, and when you consider that Belgium (arguably) aren't the best team in the tournament, then that puts into perspective England's chances, right now, of winning it!

Panama did not ever look like contenders with scrappy play and some disgraceful goings on
    Yup, and it pisses me off. That shit seems to be ingrained into the South American mentality, and it needs outlawed!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

It is outlawed! They had 2 penalties awarded against them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    We should have had a couple of penalties in the Tunisia game, and they were both for multiple wrestling actions in the area.
    Today's ref was brave enough to call the wrestling one, and the other was just straight bringing down the player in the box.
    The one that you rarely see was the yellow for encroachment - the ref could have filled his book with the names of the remainder of the Panamanian team for that one.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Blimey Columbia are giving Poland a right royal lesson in how to play football, superb performance, I think England would do well to avoid playing Columbia if they keep playing like this.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    We should have had a couple of penalties in the Tunisia game, and they were both for multiple wrestling actions in the area.
    Today's ref was brave enough to call the wrestling one, and the other was just straight bringing down the player in the box.
    The one that you rarely see was the yellow for encroachment - the ref could have filled his book with the names of the remainder of the Panamanian team for that one.
    I agree, It's just that a game where you have 2 penalties awarded to you is probably not the best example to use if you want stricter enforcement of the rules.

No chance of influencing FIFA anyway, unless you've got deep pockets in which case anything is possible.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

The nice thing about today is that England are through to the knockout stage irrespective of how the game goes on Thursday.
    I expect Thursday's game to be a tough one, but I have a feeling it's not going be one where the opposition come at us relentlessly.

Martinez has players at his disposal that live and die by the philosophy that attack is the best form of defence, and yet he doesn't set them up to do that, and he doesn't give them free rein to do so either.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Outlawed would be an instant sending off for any player found guilty of such. That's what needs to happen: a zero tolerance approach to that shit!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Default Poland 0 Columbia 3

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Blimey Columbia are giving Poland a right royal lesson in how to play football, superb performance, I think England would do well to avoid playing Columbia if they keep playing like this.
    Yeah, the game picked up drastically in the second half, although Poland were ATROCIOUS throughout, with their 'star player' Lewandowski posted missing!

Columbia, however, clearly have some talented players in their personnel, not least of which is Falcao [namesake of the famous Brazilian] and Cuadrado, together with a style of playi that is very effective, based on dynamic, accurate passing and a well-organised defence. They remind me of a slightly more entertaining Uruguay!

And yes, England would do very well to avoid them in the last 16, as I think they'd be dangerous opponents.

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    The nice thing about today is that England are through to the knockout stage irrespective of how the game goes on Thursday.
    Yes, that must be a nice feeling for a change! However, the LAST thing you'd want now is to get cuffed by Belgium and then go into the next match with a sense of trepidation, as the pressure then would almost certainly be back on...

England have be clever against Belgium, and for me, simply ensure that they don't lose.

In that respect, the main focus shouldn't initially be on trying to win the group (although having said that, if during the game against Belgium there's a point where the opportunity presents itself, then go for it), but instead on, first and foremost, ensuring that they take a positive result and performance into the next match, which of course is the most important one.

In that respect, don't risk playing anyone already on a yellow card, as any suspensions to key players could prove fatal, and don't be tempted to give fringe players a game, just because technically there is nothing to lose.

Therefore, aside from those on a yellow card, and Dele Alli, whom I wouldn't be rushing back yet from injury, and instead saving for the next game, I'd play the same team that started today against Panama, save perhaps from Sterling, who for me isn't quite 'at it', and whom I'd replace with Rashford, as I think he's just bursting to score a special goal!

Marco.
    Main System

By all accounts Kevin de Bruyne was the unsung hero for Belgium yesterday, released to play a less deep position than the one he was earlier shackled to.
    He was pulling strings and assisting players that got credited with assisting goals.
    I've seen plenty of the precision passing he did during the league season to see what he's capable of. Some of it was outrageous and breathtaking.

Job number one is to break down the KdB supply line, which ain't gonna be easy.
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast