+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cheapest speaker options for BIG sound

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Andy.

Very well described. I can get what you are saying and it's what I suspected but wouldn't have been able to put into words.

I'm Geoff.

I certainly wasn't trying to be argumentative, but did intend to express strongly that I don't think it is possible to achieve what you are looking for at a low price, unless you happen to come across a second hand item where the seller does not appreciate the market value.

Yes, DC Tannoys are great and shift air effortlessly with the right amp. I personally, have heard few two- way systems that sound better (overall) for the addition of a sub-woofer. I am guessing that this is down to timing and coherence issues.

I do own some "smallish" speakers that do sound "big" though they are what I would describe as "good value" but certainly not cheap.

Perhaps, the cheapest speakers I have ever heard that really sounded "big" were a home built pair of open baffles. This was in a huge lounge with plenty of space all around. I can't be certain of the driver as it was a long time ago but it was at least a 12" dual concentric full-range driver (possibly german). The frame was pretty large and superbly make using marine grade plywood. IIRC, the whole thing cost abut £500 to make, not including the time of the maker. Of course, once you start to look at traditional designs such as big DC Tannoys, the cost of cabinet manufacture drives costs up exponentially.

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread