+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: LCR phono stages - opinion

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    No problem.
    BTW, I had a snoop around his site and found this quote relating to a microphone preamp:

"The power supply is, uh, unconventional. What? Who? Me? Yup. A switching supply, generating 6.3V filament voltage and +200V B+ from a 48VDC input. The beauty of switching supplies is that the noise they generate - and yes, they do generate some noise - is at high enough frequency that it's easy to filter, and above the audible range. For a low-level preamp like this I'd rather have a few millivolts of 100kHz than a few millivolts of 60Hz!"

I agree entirely Hi frequency noise/ripple is easier to deal with than low frequency noise/ripple. I don't know why switching power supplies get so much stick in audiophile circles.
    I think it's because of the 'crap' they put back out into the mains supply and hence back into other audio components.

But you are right - high frequency power supplies were developed for aeronatical use as they would only need smaller and lighter capacitors for filtering. And in the aircraft industry weight is everything.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marra View Post
    There is a diy version but have no idea how it sounds.

http://www.pmillett.com/LR_phono.html
    I built one of these last year. I had to wait for the inductors to be wound by Cinemag, took about two weeks so not too bad.

If you build this you need to order a few more of the AD797 opamps than you need. This is because it’s DC coupled and the opamps have high gain. You need to swap them around in order to get the adjustment for zero DC volts on the output. With some combinations it’s impossible to zero the DC on the outputs.

It’s a nice sounding phono stage, but in the end I found I preferred my valve phono.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    The circuit diagram has offset trim adjustment. Doesn't it work properly?
    Yes, it does work and you can null the DC offset to near zero, but there is something with the AD797 which in certain combinations the DC offset cannot be nulled. Swapping the Opamps fixes the problem. Its a known problem apparently, hence I ordered a couple of spare’s as advised. I needed to use them.

I think it’s due to the DC coupling and the high gain of the circuit.

There is some discussion about it on the DIY Audio forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Adams View Post
    I too own a Art Audio Vinyl One which Ive had upgraded...Its a great phono stage for sure...Ive also tried a VIDA from Guy which I thought was very good too. (I was using both with separate SUT units which can be/was an improvement in my system)

For me the Vinyl One had a bit more body to the sound/3D-ness, the VIDA more detail-possibly more neutral.

Ive also had one of Simon Shilton's LCR phono stages which I really liked, and may have been the best balance overall-having said that I know Tom from Art Audio had a prototype new phono which I believe uses aspects of the Conductor pre amplifier power supply; Ive not tried this in my system but it sounded great in his system.

I think whilst the methodology is interesting TBH its the implementation that separates the good from the average...
    Mike

Thanks for the mention, but I just need to clarify that the Model 3 Phono uses a passive CR network for riaa correction. It is a little unusual, in that it uses smaller R and larger C values than many valve Phono amps, but it isn't an LCR network.

There are such a vast array of decisions and balanced compromises that LCR or RC or RL for riaa network is really just one of very many aspects to be considered.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    SJS Arcadia Line Level Pre-amplifiers, Headphone amps, MM Phono Stages and SET Power amps - service, repairs, upgrades.
    Designed and hand-built in England.

I'm Shane.

Nick Gorham (Lurcher on this forum) has produced a rather nice LCR Phono stage...

https://musicfirstaudio.files.wordpr...-amplifier.pdf
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

Bigman80 Guest

obscene

I want one lol

I'm Alan.

Wise words, as I'm sure you know Andrew the design of a quality phono stage is a juggling act between conflicting requirements.

Which of course makes it so satisfying to realise a set of working compromises that hit the spot. The MFA phono stage has few compromises but that is reflected in the price.
    I try to keep things on the simple side where possible.

I'm Keith.

For anyone who might be considering a diy build. Finally received a reply from Cinemag who have been moving into bigger premises.

CM-2251-1 is $27.14/each + shipping. Priority Mail will be $35.25.
    Last edited by Marra; 24-03-2018 at 12:27.

I'm Guy.

Just to point out that the Vida is not >£4k but still £3299* I do have a loan unit if anyone wants to try it.

*You can specify it with a black lacquer sleeve, balanced outputs, 2 x MC inputs, a 6 way load selector on MC, etc all of which can add to the basic cost but that remains at £3299.

Aurorasound recently launched a full width 2 chassis design called Vida Supreme which allows various other modules to be specified such as Step Up transformers, Eq for 78's, Inverse RIAA etc but I haven't had one here yet.

I'm gordan.

Quote Originally Posted by sjs View Post
    Mike

Thanks for the mention, but I just need to clarify that the Model 3 Phono uses a passive CR network for riaa correction. It is a little unusual, in that it uses smaller R and larger C values than many valve Phono amps, but it isn't an LCR network.

There are such a vast array of decisions and balanced compromises that LCR or RC or RL for riaa network is really just one of very many aspects to be considered.

isn't a classic shishido LCR circuit notorious for a very very large capacitor there?
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast