+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: suggested finish for mahogany plinth

I'm Phil.

this stuff could be good, i think...

https://www.osmouk.com/sitechaptern....&page=253#1101

it seems it can be bought in 5mm samples as well so i might get a couplem of those and test it out

RothwellAudio Guest

My preferred finish is pretty similar to Svend's options 1 and 2. I like to use polyurethane varnish but thinned down with white spirit so it becomes an easy wipe-on oil. About 2 parts varnish to 1 part white spirit is a good starting point - a bit more white spirit if you want it thinner or a bit less if you want it thicker. I prefer it too thin than too thick. One part varnish to one part white spirit is very thin and easy to use. Just put another coat on (after it has dried properly) to get it thicker rather than put one thick coat on. I use clear gloss varnish. It actually doesn't give a very glossy finish at all once you've thinned it, but you can always knock back the gloss with fine wire wool if you like.

BTW, I don't like wax at all. It always feels slightly tacky to me.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    Hi Phil,

I have had good results with Osmo Polyx 3032 clear satin. It does take a while to dry but will produce an excellent finish. It has the advantage of being very easy to make good if you get any minor marks or blemishes at a later date.
    Thanks, Richard. As i said im happy to take the time to get the right finish. I wondered if this stuff...

might work well.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by MarginWalker View Post
    this stuff could be good, i think...

it seems it can be bought in 5mm samples as well so i might get a couplem of those and test it out
    That could be very nice, Phil. Definitely worth a try.

Your idea of Danish oil and a fine wax topcoat would also work great. I use a very nice beeswax from the UK which gives a beautiful sheen.

Or Andrew's suggestion of thinned urethane. Great idea, Andrew, I must try that some time.

All good options for you.

As this isn't a high-wear piece like a table top, you aren't restricted to only durable tough finishes, but can use whatever looks best to your eye.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    My preferred finish is pretty similar to Svend's options 1 and 2. I like to use polyurethane varnish but thinned down with white spirit so it becomes an easy wipe-on oil. About 2 parts varnish to 1 part white spirit is a good starting point - a bit more white spirit if you want it thinner or a bit less if you want it thicker. I prefer it too thin than too thick. One part varnish to one part white spirit is very thin and easy to use. Just put another coat on (after it has dried properly) to get it thicker rather than put one thick coat on. I use clear gloss varnish. It actually doesn't give a very glossy finish at all once you've thinned it, but you can always knock back the gloss with fine wire wool if you like.

BTW, I don't like wax at all. It always feels slightly tacky to me.
    Another great polishing agent is Rottenstone, which sounds repulsive, but actually works great. It is extremely fine pumice-type material. Use it with a light oil for final polishing -- works exceedingly well.

As for wax, have you tried a fine furniture-grade beeswax? I find that it cures to a very dry, hard finish, not at all sticky or tacky. I use a product from the UK -- can't recall the brand but can look for you if you like.

I'm Phil.

I'll try a few options on some scrap and will put some pictures up of the finished plinth once i have made a decision. Thanks for all the help guys!

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Another great polishing agent is Rottenstone, which sounds repulsive, but actually works great. It is extremely fine pumice-type material. Use it with a light oil for final polishing -- works exceedingly well.

As for wax, have you tried a fine furniture-grade beeswax? I find that it cures to a very dry, hard finish, not at all sticky or tacky. I use a product from the UK -- can't recall the brand but can look for you if you like.
    If you get a chance it would be great to know which brand of beeswax you use. Thanks!

I'm Richard.

I've not used Osmo 1101 so I can't say anything about it. Best get samples of all prospective products and give them a try! I can tell you that when the Osmo oil that I use is dry it is not sticky at all. If you do decide to use oil I recommend that you apply it very sparingly with a microfibre cloth. That way you will get a great finish.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by MarginWalker View Post
    If you get a chance it would be great to know which brand of beeswax you use. Thanks!
    Goddard's Cabinet Maker's Wax, in paste form (I think this also comes as a spray).

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    I've not used Osmo 1101 so I can't say anything about it. Best get samples of all prospective products and give them a try! I can tell you that when the Osmo oil that I use is dry it is not sticky at all. If you do decide to use oil I recommend that you apply it very sparingly with a microfibre cloth. That way you will get a great finish.
    +1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast