+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had 50 grand

I'm Steve.

Default If you had 50 grand

Inspired by Jamie's thread but bigger!

My question is: if someone gave you £50,000 which you had to spend on improving the sound of your system, would you throw all the money at more expensive components, or could better improvements be had by building a dedicated listening room designed to work with your existing kit?

I'm Charlie.

Very happy with my system and the room.

If I had to spend £50k on audio reproduction, most would go on sourcing more 15 IPS 1/4 inch tapes of my favourite music. If you search hard enough, you can find probably 3-4th generation tapes, which sound WAY better usually than any first pressing LP. I've got some more coming from the USA soon - The Who, Aretha Franklin and Ella Fitzgerald. With the loose change, it would be some nice wine and malt whisky to help the evenings along.

Mind you £50k buys you a lot of concert tickets, enough to have a night out every week for a few years.

Charlie
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Peter.

Keep everything I have.... money don’t make a sound system better. Room acoustics, maybe another mater but only for a few k. (Or a new house with a bigger room) My system new, is over the said budget. Money don’t make music..... I believe it’s what we like worked in Island Records Studio for many years..... many millions..... great sound.... but who wants to live in a studio!

Be happy with what you have.!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    Keep everything I have....
    I was just thinking the same.

I'd bank the fifty grand and just spend the interest.

I'm Andrew.

I wouldnt spend 50K on hifi probably spend some save some.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Very happy with my system and the room.

If I had to spend £50k on audio reproduction, most would go on sourcing more 15 IPS 1/4 inch tapes of my favourite music. If you search hard enough, you can find probably 3-4th generation tapes, which sound WAY better usually than any first pressing LP. I've got some more coming from the USA soon - The Who, Aretha Franklin and Ella Fitzgerald. With the loose change, it would be some nice wine and malt whisky to help the evenings along.

Mind you £50k buys you a lot of concert tickets, enough to have a night out every week for a few years.

Charlie
    Reading your answer.... brings me back to to good days. However, for me a 2” master tape machine would be the dogs. “ if only, “a” !!!

In the days of analog of courses!!!!

Peter

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    Keep everything I have.... money don’t make a sound system better. Room acoustics, maybe another mater but only for a few k. (Or a new house with a bigger room) My system new, is over the said budget. Money don’t make music..... I believe it’s what we like worked in Island Records Studio for many years..... many millions..... great sound.... but who wants to live in a studio!

Be happy with what you have.!!!

Ooh, Peter,

While I largely agree with what you say, One of the points you make doesn't seem to fit with the others. Namely, the one about your system, new, costing more than the stated budget. is this your first and only system, and the bargain of the century, or the result of changes made over the years? If the latter, were you not happy with what you had?

I imagine most of us are happy with our stuff, but there's almost always room for improvement.

But I really would love a dedicated listening room, a space just for me and my toys. Right now Mrs. Pony is at the Slimming World weighbridge, and I am able to play my tunes (right now it's Massive Attack "Blue Lines") but in half an hour or so she will return, probably with a face on her because the scales dissed her efforts, and then it'll be back to Emmerdale, Corrie, etc.

And I disagree about the Compass Pint Studio. Sod what Mr. Blackwell thought, I would put up some flock wallpaper and some flying ducks on the walls. Sorted!

I'm Andy.

Id be straight round to Hifi Dave's to hand over £9k for that Luxman amp. Then I'd work,out what to do with the other 41k. Probably buy a camera to take pics of the thing and a designer table to stand it on so I could drool over it.

I'm Peter.

I kid you not! Perhaps have a look at my signature. 70 years young and a lifetime of stuff that has sent so much enjoyment or dissatisfaction.

Current stuff, is mainly McIntosh as follows,

McIntosh MA 2275 amp
    McIntosh CD550
    Mytek BROKLYN+ DAC
    Denon DP80/ Custom Plinth/ Dynavector DV507- Mk II / Benz Wood / Ortofon Anna.
    Dynalab Etude / System Sluth Tuner
    Pioneer RT 909 R2R
    Revolver Cygnus Speakers
    Etc, etc. (IC’s / Speaker Wires)

I’m not too sure where your coming from to ask me this ?

But hay ho.....

It ain’t a boast! :....... just where the last 50 years has lead me !!

Peter

I'm Shane.

If I fancied something valvey....Audio Note Jinro, and some nice AN-E speakers to go with it.

S.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast