+ Reply to Thread
Page 332 of 459 FirstFirst ... 232282322330331332333334342382432 ... LastLast
Results 3,311 to 3,320 of 4584

Thread: Spinning Today (Classical version)

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    ^
    A Lyrita recording with Trevor Pinnock is on Spotify.
    You're right, Lawrence, it is a very good piece! Thanks for the tip.

https://open.spotify.com/album/33i0gILmym8vFEYhcKnhP9

Interesting, didn't know Pinnock had recorded this, what year was it? I would also like to hear some of Leigh's other works, thanks Jerry.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

montesquieu Guest

Bumped into Pinnock in the gents' before a concert near Tisbury on the Wilts/Dorset border - about an hour's and a bit's thrash down the M3/303 - back about 18 months ago. Bit of a shock. (He's tiny!).

Was a wonderful gig, he's patron of the local music society there and its related charity that makes sure gifted young musicians can play on decent instruments. Wonderful solo baroque harpsichord concert mainly of stuff from the wonderful 'Journey' CD that he'd just recorded but not sure if it had been released yet.

Was also at his 70th birthday concert at the Wigmore last December (was it really a year ago?). Strange mix of baroque and modern orchestral. To be honest I can't fathom why someone with his talents in the early music area would bother with the modern orchestral stuff - half the concert was given over to a mini chamber orchestra version of Mahler's Symphony No4, with youth orchestra players.

A fair chunk of the audience got up and left at half-time - that seemed rude to me we, stayed and enjoyed it but I must say the baroque stuff was by far the more accomplished in terms of performance - I couldn't help but have the feeling that many of the people who hung about were family members of the young orchestral players.

I'm gone.

Interesting.
    Tiny! - but big hands?

Playing atm - gloriously melodic cello concerto by Lionel Sainsbury. A really fine piece, wonderfully orchestrated, why it hasn't managed to get into the standard cello repertoire is baffling.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4LWur00kkfnjVStN4dTbeD

I'm gone.

This is a very enjoyable set, aptly so a couple of days after Finland's 100th birthday.

https://open.spotify.com/album/6hd0F7KGPBMUkjFhKJZ5Mv

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Beethoven - Triple Concerto

Always an interesting comparison with my favourite version (on EMI):

Barry

I'm Jo.

Default >>>

['A fair chunk of the audience got up and left at half-time...'

Oh boy that would make me angry, Tom! It is so important to support youngsters starting out.]

Thread:

612YQldCT9L._SS500.jpg

For some reason I was surprised at how good Kempff was at playing Liszt. Outstanding playing.

I'm Neil.

Default Spinning Today (Classical version)

Anyone got some ultra-heavy symphonic stuff to recommend me please? Let’s not forget that the roots of heavy metal are in classical music.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

montesquieu Guest

This - especially track 9 - takes a while to get going

https://open.spotify.com/album/3eyEl2GuajPLVs6MGCFw62

I'm lucky enough to have this on vinyl, well the Wagner bits of it anyway.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 05-12-2017 at 21:07.

I'm Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Anyone got some ultra-heavy symphonic stuff to recommend me please? Let’s not forget that the roots of heavy metal are in classical music.
    Not generally my taste so others would be better placed to make recommendations, but always thought Harmonielehre was pretty hardcore:

and perhaps inspired by Tom to suggest parts of Stravinsky/The Rite of Spring. Interested in what others suggest...

I'm gone.

+ Reply to Thread