+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it with cyclists ?

I'm Jez.

I'd ban Daily Hail reading, Range Rover owning, Tory voting, golf club member types.... In fact I'd have them taken outside and shot

If tin box owners had to get out and do 20 press-ups every time someone halted their momentum for the sake of "It's my right of way and I won't wait for 5 seconds and let you pass" they would soon understand the "attitude" of cyclists.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I'd ban Daily Hail reading, Range Rover owning, Tory voting, golf club member types.... In fact I'd have them taken outside and shot

If tin box owners had to get out and do 20 press-ups every time someone halted their momentum for the sake of "It's my right of way and I won't wait for 5 seconds and let you pass" they would soon understand the "attitude" of cyclists.
    'Daily Hail reading, Range Rover owning, Tory voting, golf club member types' is a bit too specific. What if they read the Mail, vote Tory, play golf but drive, say, a Mercedes GLS? is that okay?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

What if they also 'believe' in mains leads? Does that elevate them to death in a less painless, straightforward way?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Its an unfair title because you cant class anyone the finds two wheels and mows down pedestrians as anything more than a dangerous idiot.

You cant broaden it as all cyclists anymore than I could say whats up with car drivers

Theres are careless idiots everywhere and they also jump onto motorbikes or into cars.

The other side of this is that motor vehicles can turn a 7 minute bike ride into a half an hour trip. There is no effective transport policy and little provision for safe and progressive cycling.

Now it has to be said that pavement nipping does happen because the alternative can be standing there for twenty minutes as a bottleneck develops. Have I done it...I wouldnt like to say

However I agree that riding on the pavement is not acceptable but I dont think you will find many responsible people who class themselves as keen cyclists doing it.

I suppose enforcement and heavy spot fines might help. I dont want a registration scheme for cyclists. There are now many people who realise that a car especially in urban areas is not a ticket to freedom. The way forward is a proper transport policy that actually restricts the use of cars and separates pedestrians from cycle paths.

I timed a traffic jam the other week and who in their right mind pays car expenses to take 25 minutes to cover a quarter of a mile in peak periods. Its utter madness and we all know it

Its not all cyclists so lets just clamp down on the idiots without tarring everyone.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 03-09-2017 at 18:18.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I'm a cyclist and I know exactly what you mean Dave there really are some terrible riders out there

I would never dream of cycling on the pavement as that's for pedestrians only

I have also found that when cycling in a group motorists are just fantastic and very often giveway to the group and I always thank them for it as they don't have to do that

Colin comes from Cambridge so we visit it on many occasions and the cycling behaviour there is simply horrendous
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

Missed this post earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Ah. This must be one of those 'entitled' motorists: http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/201...house-in-york/

Car was obviously too powerful for this idiot to cope with. You can see what he's done. Going way too fast for the bend.

And what the hell was a 20 year old doing with a 300 horsepower car anyway?
    Indeed, it's utterly ridiculous. Firstly, I'd increase the driving age for males to 21, because before then most are still immature daft boys. Some are still daft after that, but you need a cut-off point. Girls are mostly different, in that respect, and generally make less competitive/more sensible drivers.

Secondly, I'd restrict the size of engine ALL (male and female) new drivers can buy, to 1.5L (and limit the BHP allowed), until such times as they've gained some road sense and proven that they're good drivers/can handle a car (say two years on the road with no convictions or accidents, which were their fault). Then at that point, remove the restriction.

Thirdly, seriously fast cars (say 300+ BHP) should only be sold to those who've passed an advanced driving test.

That would sort out a lot of the current problems, prevent accidents and no doubt save many lives!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Firstly, I'd increase the driving age for males to 21, because before then most are still immature daft boys.
    Oh yeah, I so agree with that but I would also ban the riding of motorcycles for anyone under the age of 25. The power to weight ratio of these new sports machines is absolutely deadly.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    The power to weight ratio of these new sports machines is absolutely deadly.
    Overall, with a few exceptions the power to weight ratio of bikes seems to have gone down I reckon. Compact sports bikes like the Aprillia RS250 with 72 bhp and the Kwaka ZZR400 with around 63 bhp, that were light, compact and seriously quick, are long gone. Most middleweight bikes seem to struggle to produce much more than 30 bhp these days.

The top sports bikes like the Kwaka H2 and new BMW's have monstrous poke, but you don't see many. They are just too expensive.

600's seem to have more or less levelled off in performance for the last twenty years or so. Probably just as well, they are compact rockets that have more poke than anybody can fully employ for (sane) road use. No real world car can keep up, that's for sure.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Oh yeah, I so agree with that but I would also ban the riding of motorcycles for anyone under the age of 25. The power to weight ratio of these new sports machines is absolutely deadly.
    Yup, defo agreed on that, too!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm joe.

What I know about cycling could be written on the back of a postage stamp and still leave room for the Lord's Prayer, but here's a rant from Nigel Blackwell of HMHB fame:

http://www.coneysloft.com/magazine/2...n-half-biscuit

'Q: What’s vexing you right now?

Mrs Brown's Boys is FUCKING GASH no matter what anyone says by the way. "Oh but you should give it a chance, it's all done live." I have given it a chance and it's SHITE.

See also: New cycling fans who got into it all by way of the 'Wiggo ' factor ('quirky, mildly rebellious Brad, he likes Paul Weller y'know!) and bought themselves a SKY replica jersey and only watch the Tour de France and have no knowledge of the April Classics. Their first bike purchase for twenty years was a Boardman Hybrid on the 'cycle to work' scheme and then they got serious and thought that they too could be just like 'Froome Dog' (kill me now) so they upgraded to a carbon framed Pinarello and ordered Rapha polo shirts online.'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast