+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EBay - maybe I've just been scammed

I'm Adrian.

Default EBay - maybe I've just been scammed

I've been watching out for a certain boxed set and thanks to the good nature of a fellow member was alerted to one on eBay at a good price of 195£ described as brand new and sealed. I bought it and paid for it and have just received an email from the seller to say that as he's shipping it abroad he's removed the vinyl (x3) so it will be safer! Surely it would be better in its original box, then in another box? And if course now it isn't sealed and might never have been! I guess all I can do is wait - some people are either stupid or twisted.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    I've been watching out for a certain boxed set and thanks to the good nature of a fellow member was alerted to one on eBay at a good price of 195£ described as brand new and sealed. I bought it and paid for it and have just received an email from the seller to say that as he's shipping it abroad he's removed the vinyl (x3) so it will be safer! Surely it would be better in its original box, then in another box? And if course now it isn't sealed and might never have been! I guess all I can do is wait - some people are either stupid or twisted.
    Personally I'd cancel the transaction before he sends it as the item won't be as described, a lot of collectors put great value on stuff never been opened .I suppose if you're going to actually use it and it turns up mint then it's not so bad,I think it might niggle me though just on principal.
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Mike.

A lot of sellers remove the vinyl from the cover to prevent the ring marks on the covers if the package gets compressed.

The best sellers I use for secondhand LPs seem to prefer this method.

If you are planning to play them anyway I don't see a problem.

Pretty sure the LPs will still be in the same box just not in their covers, unless of course he's sending you his own played set. If you've paid via PayPal then no worries you're covered for any issues upon receipt.

I'm Dave.

You paid for "brand new and sealed" and that's not what you are getting. If that is troubling, you should cancel ASAP. If it is opened, it could have been used.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    You paid for "brand new and sealed" and that's nThisot what you are getting. If that is troubling, you should cancel ASAP. If it is opened, it could have been used.
    This. I totally get the point of removing the inners with second hand vinyl as it prevents ring marks but this should not be necessary with a new box.

I'm Simon.

Shipping with the records outside of the sleeve prevents seam splits. I usually request this where possible but some people don't listen and then are shocked when it arrives split! Of course, the seller really should only do this upon request because some people do keep their records sealed.

I'm Grant.

would appear they were already open. no-one would open a sealed boxset and remove records for shipping. in 50 years collecting ive never heard of it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    Shipping with the records outside of the sleeve prevents seam splits. I usually request this where possible but some people don't listen and then are shocked when it arrives split! Of course, the seller really should only do this upon request because some people do keep their records sealed.
    Bizzare what's the point of owning a record if you don't play it?

But if you buy new you should have the pleasure/confidence of opening it yourself.

I'm Grant.

COLLECTORS OFTEN DONT OPEN THEM. others as said above want to do it themselves
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Well I've bought it to play it not to keep it sealed but I've been bitten before so am naturally wary. The seller has promised they are unplayed and accepts that they are no longer as described but they have been sent. He has 100% feedback with over 400 positive feedbacks so I guess I'm just gonna have to trust him. At £195 it's going back if I have any doubt.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects