+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sibilance in general -- what is the most likely cause?

I'm Neil.

Ah sibilance, one of the most difficult things to get just right in HiFi, and one of the easiest things to make a sound fatiguing.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Deleted.

As others have said, often perceived sibilance is not actually a fault of the system but is actually on the recording.

However, if it is system related it can be down to a whole bunch of issues. If it is the speakers it can be symptomatic of a rising top end or of issues where the crossover blends the tweeter with the mid (low order crossovers do little to suppress out of band anomalies for example). If it is the turntable then it may be down to marginal matching between the arms effective mass and the cartridge compliance. It could also be down to the stylus profile or a rising top end in the cartridge. It could even be down to the phonostage.
    Account Deleted

I'm Tim.

As originator 'magiccarpetride' pointed out it's on some "older" records in some parts that that SssshFthSssshFth horrible thing manifest itself. All the previous are true (recording engineer mastering) and of course a phono set-up that is right and well set.

But as a collector of vintage 45's mainly, so out of the lower fidelity end (thank the Lord most are MONO !), I'm often tangle as to understand if it's about my phono setting, the recording mastering and/or the "poor" template mastering job and cheap vinyl, styrene used to press the record...

I'm about sure about my phono stage by now. Did trial with many different records (countries, pressing plants, materials and decades) when a record condition is an issue I can tell. When it's a recording factor the same and of course when the "plastic" material comes to be faulty. I use to collect old Jamaican records and that is a good "introduction" to all of this and that !

Harder to understand, but I know strongly pay attention to, is the template mastering job at the pressing plant. Well or not so well done, for some records you just can't escape the poor result if messed up at the pressing plant. Other records who were issued simultaneously in different pressing plant offer you the chance to compare how that factor alone comes in your listening experience...
    - Cart Denon DL-102 in bakelite Ortofon SPU 'G' type headshell
    - TA SME 3009 'Improved' converted in heavy mass with detachable headshell
    - TT Thorens TD160 'E' totally tweaked driven by an 'Eagle & RoadRunner' PSU & tachometer combo
    - Matts top to bottom: leather, cork, felt & 12" vinyl
    - Pre-amp 'Modulis' Isem
    - Amp 'Exampli' Etalon 2x40W
    - Speakers 12" Leak 'Sandwich' first generation creatively recapped

I'm Geoff.

If sibilance is noticed more on older records, perhaps that could be due to wear and (or) dirt deep in the grooves.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If sibilance is noticed more on older records, perhaps that could be due to wear and (or) dirt deep in the grooves.
    OK, but I'd say the old records will give their best if read with the required equipment. And for that I can attest. Then music genres also can benefit from different phono set-ups or not... Vintage NOS record perfectly preserved can sound only "acceptable" on a top end phono set up and "alive and kicking" on a tweaked vintage single speaker pick-up.

Sibilance induced by wear YES, by dirt NO and by static YES. Dirt brings noise and deep groove residues of all species brings the odd "blow" or "woosh" noise/sound. One can learn many efficient specific ways to clean, fix and "unscratch" a record depending on the diagnostic to save a record from "undesirability" or "disregard" with an educated eye and experience.
    - Cart Denon DL-102 in bakelite Ortofon SPU 'G' type headshell
    - TA SME 3009 'Improved' converted in heavy mass with detachable headshell
    - TT Thorens TD160 'E' totally tweaked driven by an 'Eagle & RoadRunner' PSU & tachometer combo
    - Matts top to bottom: leather, cork, felt & 12" vinyl
    - Pre-amp 'Modulis' Isem
    - Amp 'Exampli' Etalon 2x40W
    - Speakers 12" Leak 'Sandwich' first generation creatively recapped

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by tlscapital View Post
    Sibilance induced by wear YES, by dirt NO
    Care to explain?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rob.

I've always found that the usual cause of sibilance is loose fitting false teeth.
    Rob.