+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Review of SW1X Universal Music Server UMS1 Signature and Universal Power Supply

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Slawa.

Default Thank you

Thank you for the reflective review and your compliment.

Well designed linear power supplies with high quality audio materials are crucial everywhere but switched mode power supply with cheap low quality parts in your computer are not important at all?

It may sound weird to some people however I cannot stress enough that the quality of the power supply is detrimental to the sound. Especially, the quality of the power supply of a music server (speak computer) is even more crucial than most people can imagine. That is because it is located right at the very beginning of the signal chain of an audio system. Why many people think that a computer and its power supply in particular are of negligible importance despite acknowledging its importance anywhere else remains a phenomenon.

However, if one thinks in line with following principle: If something is removed from the beginning - it can never be restored back at the later stage similar to the principle "Garbage in- garbage out", then it becomes evident that for example if the power supply of the computer does not have enough thickness or not enough bass in the mid bass area nothing (cables, DAC, amps and speakers) will be able to bring it back at the later stage. That is why a computer power supply is the most crucial and yet the most neglected aspect of a modern audio system. That is also one of the reasons as why many computer transport based systems sound so thin, synthetic and noisy relative to the older CD player transports (from late 80s and early 90s) now days. I mentioned it before here: http://sw1xad.co.uk/digital-transports/

The good news is that we addressed those issues by designing the SW1X PSU I power supply (http://sw1xad.co.uk/product/sw1x-psu-1/) with the finest materials and tuning it by using vintage Marantz and Philips CD players based on the CDM1 mechanism as our reference. We achieved a sound signature that is almost indistinguishable from those classic CD player master pieces plus having more analogue liquidity in the sound. Those people who are fortunate to own a piece of those finest machines know very well what I am talking about. Those who do not should at least give a good listen to those players and to compare them to a computer (music server) based system to understand where we are coming from.

Slawa
    Last edited by SW1X; 17-04-2017 at 14:51.
    SW1X Audio DesignTM ... Finest Audio Components ... Designed and Handcrafted in England
    www.SW1XAD.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread