+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sky Q - anyone else here got it?

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Does anyone else here have Sky Q installed, in conjunction with a 4K TV?

Sky engineer came today and set it all up, along with Sky Fibre Max for Internet and downloads... WOW, fookin' ell, the picture resolution of the movies on Sky Cinema, in Ultra-High Definition/Dolby Digital, is simply STUNNING! 'Being there' just about describes it!

Still to watch the footy in UHD, so can't wait for that....

Also getting just under 80Mb per second with downloads, so that and general Internet usage is super-quick! So much better than the standard broadband we were on before from Talk Talk. Thoroughly recommended

Marco.
    Hi Marco, I went the whole hog to sky Q silver, sports, and fibre max just before my knee operation in August (PCL reconstruction), to partner my 4K Panasonic 55" (CX802), as an aid to recuperation...with the silver package there's a sky Q mini, which gives one multi room albeit 1080p, so that's excellent for bedroom viewing.

As for my 'fiber' (there's copper in the chain), it is only 40Mb/s, however that's still plenty quick enough, downloads are view able within seconds.

The Panasonic TV is excellent, it was last years flagship, on sale for less than half price, with a quad core processor it's up-scaling and picture enhancement of HD to 4k is surprisingly good, but assigning the up-scaling to the Q box gives even better results. As it's a smart TV, and connected to fiber, 'Youtube' etc is available in full resolution...This snap of a '4K Psychedelic Tunnel' video doesn't do it justice!

Attachment 18714

...you'll also see that I needed a large TV to match the speakers!, well that was my excuse to the missus

At the moment the UHD content is limited, all premiership matches are available in UHD, with one downside no 'live pause' etc., for that one has to return to the HD channel...I'd suggest this is for security rather than technical reasons, as other UHD content (via a UHD box set menu), can be played as normal.

Although sky's UHD is apparently compressed the images are stunning, motion and panning across a football match feel very natural, probably the most difficult task for any TV, and the resolution is incredible.

I treated myself to the Revenant in UHD from the sky store, it really deserves to be seen at this resolution...
    Cheers, Will

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Should be like going from dvd to bluray. No contest for most things.
    Yeah, that's a good description

Basically, everything just looks so much more 'real'.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Will,

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Hi Marco, I went the whole hog to sky Q silver, sports, and fibre max just before my knee operation in August (PCL reconstruction), to partner my 4K Panasonic 55" (CX802), as an aid to recuperation...with the silver package there's a sky Q mini, which gives one multi room albeit 1080p, so that's excellent for bedroom viewing.
    That must be what I've got too, as it came with another 'hub', which is situated in our bedroom. Nice having access to all the benefits of 'Q', whilst wrapped up all cosy in bed! Perfect for those long winter nights

The Panasonic TV is excellent, it was last years flagship, on sale for less than half price, with a quad core processor it's up-scaling and picture enhancement of HD to 4k is surprisingly good, but assigning the up-scaling to the Q box gives even better results. As it's a smart TV, and connected to fiber, 'Youtube' etc is available in full resolution...This snap of a '4K Psychedelic Tunnel' video doesn't do it justice!

Attachment 18714

...you'll also see that I needed a large TV to match the speakers!, well that was my excuse to the missus
    Ha - looks great, mate!

Although sky's UHD is apparently compressed the images are stunning, motion and panning across a football match feel very natural, probably the most difficult task for any TV, and the resolution is incredible.
    That's also what I'm finding. If this is "compressed", then bring on the compression!

I treated myself to the Revenant in UHD from the sky store, it really deserves to be seen at this resolution...
    Lol - I did the same thing. Superb film, and like you say a great advert for UHD!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Will.

Lol - I did the same thing. Superb film, and like you say a great advert for UHD!!

Marco.
    ...you could almost smell the bear's breath!!!
    Cheers, Will

I know - man that was one scarily realistic scene!!!

I almost felt as if it was me being mauled by that bear....

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Justin.

Beg, borrow, steal or simply buy a 55 or 65 inch LG OLED, Marco.

Then calibrate it properly - do some Googling. Sky Q will come into its own, then. Prices have dropped a lot and 55 inchers are within reasonable money, I think.

I'm Adam.

I bought a 50" Panasonic AX800 2 years ago.

It's a lovely looking television and does a great job of upscaling good quality source material (some blu rays look lovely on it - Red Dog and San Andreas come to mind).

The lack of 4K content niggles me though.

I'm Will.

I know - man that was one scarily realistic scene!!!
    Indeed...

One other benefit of moving to Q/Fibre is that it forced me to relocate the new Q router into my living room, where the main telephone socket is, in order to gain max capacity.

So now my main Q box is hard wired to one of the router's ethernet ports, the other one (why are there only 2?) I've expanded with one of these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...from that I feed the TV, Blu-Ray, a TP-Link 500 power plug, and my SBTouch!!! which I've now modded to deactivate the wifi.

My other 2 Squeezebox clients (pi & classic), and LMS Server/NAS are now hardwired in vie more TP-Links, which seem to work very well in my house...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So now the wifi bandwidth is purely for the Q mini, and portable devices...at 39Mb/s

A word of warning Marco even though the Q mini has an ethernet socket it doesn't like being hard wired, as I found out to my cost, doing so stops both the main Q and mini from acting as wifi 'hotspots'...apparently this socket may be for use at a later date.
    Cheers, Will

I'm Justin.

Apparently not, as I can clearly appreciate the difference with a 43-incher, as it were...

Marco.
    What is it exactly? Is it really UHD compliant? How far are you sitting away from it?

Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast