+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: IanMac Bearing

I'm Ben.

My Ianmac bearing arrived late last week from Ian and after getting the days shopping and dog walking activities out of the way I decided to have a play with it earlier. Being a bit of a technical numpty I watched a youtube video for guidance on bearing removal and followed that, thankfully it was pretty easy really and the whole job was completed in about 35 mins. That included me fogetting to reattach the pitch control lead to the board and having to go back in when initial start up sounded terrible

I will definitely comment further at a later date on the sound of it but for now I'd just like to give Ian a pat on the back for what looks like a superbly engineered bit of kit and for being a real decent chap to deal with.

Cheers

Ben
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm gerald.

If you get polyurethane body sealant from a motor factors and some std thinners squeeze some of the sealer into a pot then apply some thinners you can make a variable mix from super soft to hard . The idea is using the sealer alone is two rigid but mixed thinners and you vary the consistency been doing it for years on VW`s for all different types of uses form bonding steel sheet ,making bump stops etc .
    Soudal and sikkaflex are good makes but make sure you use wax to stop it sticking you will never remove it otherwise as like people who use fibreglass moulds.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Peek is a good choice, as peek ceramic bearings are quite common.
    I would suggest that your choice of oil is not the best.

It would also be interesting to compare the funk bearing, as this is another proven combination of materials.
    Just a quick comment about PEEK, it is an engineering thermoplastic, not ceramic. There are different grades of PEEK, there is a bearing grade, carbon fibre reinforced with graphite and PTFE lubricants, this offers the lowest friction coefficient and machinability of all the PEEK grades.

Not trying to tread on anyone's toes, just correcting a misconception that PEEK is ceramic.

Ianmac may already be using this grade.

I'm Kevin.

The ceramic comment was referring to the other part that makes up a bearing.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Gary.

The ceramic comment was referring to the other part that makes up a bearing.
    I'm really interested in this, what part?

I'm Kevin.

The round bit - a ceramic ball.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Gary.

The round bit - a ceramic ball.
    Thanks for that, I'll be interested in the construction of this bearing.

I'm Dimitris.

Further on the lubrication matter, I recently read that motor oil has cleaning additives that can be corrosive to plastics. So use my previous suggestion of BP vanelus with care.

I also read that people had very nice results with more viscus oils or even greases like gearbox/differential lubricants (SAE 80). Has anyone tried something like that?

It might make sense for the bearing, especially with its bigger tolerances. I m not so sure about the thrust pad though.

I'm Dimitris.

Another thought I just had is that the one piece shaft transfers all the friction noise directly to the record.

An idea would be to cut the shaft's top and use something else on top of the platter to center the record

I'm Ian.

Reference my post 131, Im a bit behind schedule in completing my test on bearing tub infill but will be well underway by the end of the week.
    Got deviated, long story, but I have just rebuilt my power supply using two regulators to drive the motor electronics the other the control electronics. Good improvement . Ill post more details but first I must complete the bearing tub infill
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast