+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is the AT150SA just a marketing excercise?

I'm Kevin.

Default Is the AT150SA just a marketing excercise?

I have been looking through the specs recently of the 150MLX and 150SA.
    The 150MLX (which is cheaper) seems to have a better cantilever, and some would argue a better diamond profile. A certain amount of "design to cost" seems to have happened with the SA version with the use of an aluminium cantilever supporting the Shibata profile diamond. I have also read that the body has been tweaked so the AT150SA has more in common with the 440 than the 150.

All that seems interesting, but the most important question is how does the SA sound in comparison to the MLX? Has anybody seen any reviews, or have direct experience of the two?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Ben.

Very interested in this thread, hope it gets a decent response
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Clive.

It's hard to say with out hearing the SA. The ANV is a step up from the MLX in that it's more consistently good. The ANV though was limited an whilst you can still get them AT aren't make any replacement stylii for them (seems daft). The SA arguably has a better tip than the MLX, maybe the aluminum cantilever matches the cartridge better.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Kevin.

I always fancied a 150ANV, but the price and lack of replacement stylus has kind of put me off.

I thought that the "microline" diamond was more complex to manufacture than the Shibata?
    But this post from vinyl engine seems interesting - http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable...ic.php?t=22894

Also note something more interesting. The minor/major radius dimensions, and footprint for the AT's MicroLine, is exactly the same as Jico's (Namiki's) SAS stylus. I bet they are exactly the same stylus

Moreover, if you go to JICO online store, you won't find the SAS stylus being sold for the current Audio Technica cartridges!! I bet Namiki is making both AT ML and JICO SAS styli.
    As for the stylus/cantilever, I believe that the 2M black uses an aluminium cantilever? Could it be that AT are trying to make the 150 sound like a 2M Black?
    Kevin

I'm Soren.

SAS is discontinued by Jico, and AT goes Shibata. Could it be that Namiki has stopped production of SAS/ML?
    Amp: Pass Labs INT30a. Digital: Yamaha CD-S1000, Streaming: Chromecast Audio, M2Tech Young. Analog: Rega RP3/Elys 2. Speakers: Dynaudio Excite X32 and JBL Studio 290. Cables: VDH First Ultimate, VDH First Metalscreen and Xindak FS-0.5.

danilo Guest

LP gear currently carries two AT150 replacement stylii: Microline and Sa
    http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATN150MLX.html

Not inexpensive though

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Søren View Post
    SAS is discontinued by Jico, and AT goes Shibata. Could it be that Namiki has stopped production of SAS/ML?
    There is a new SAS coming. Look at the Jico website.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread