+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 301 EMG project

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post

Yes Geoff Be good to beef it up as it has no mass or weight to it as such ,
    Jon, great find. I hope you enjoy your project.

I did a similar thing last year with my 301 and a vintage plinth. It was a "Rumblecure", from, I think the 1960s. sadly it didnt live up to its name!!

it was all foam and rubber, in an attempt to isolate vibration. A terrible thing. Anyway, I ripped out all the rubbish and nailed the original top plate back in.

Now, the bit that may interest you. It was quite a big plinth, with lots of space underneath.

I mixed up some plaster and got as much in as I could. Left it for a week to set, then sanded off any edges. Gave it a real good clean then several coats of paint, mainly so that no dust would
    be flying around near the motor etc.

For certain it looks like a DIY job, but it certainly sounded better after my efforts than before. The extra mass did make a difference.
    I used it at a Bake off at my house and it received much favourable comment ( for the sound....................... Sadly not for my artistic DIY input and art work)

good luck

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    How are you equalising the pressure on the knife edge bearings?
    sorry numpty time don't think I am perhaps that's why I'm having trouble , the arm is becoming quite "stiff" as it gets nearer the centre causing distortion mainly I believe from the extra weight required to balance out the spu t , the other issue which I need to address is to get a bigger spacer between the arm and plinth as the locking coller is just about on its limits to hold the arm level , now here's another thought I have a Mayware unipivot sitting in a draw perhaps I could squeeze that on the plinth as well as the SME and make a new top plate to save botching up the original , That would mean I could run mm and mc carts ... If I find some spare time maybe a winter project
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234