+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 175765666768 LastLast

Thread: Goldpoint SA4M-47 passive 'preamp' winging its way to Marco Towers...

I'm Brian.

Will there be any room left once you've got Martins system into the car
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Kevin.

I bet he wishes he had an estate car.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

As long as Macca leaves his wallet at home, we should be able to squeeze all the stuff in...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

danilo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yup, Geoff, I love it. Before these mods were carried out, it was 80% as good as my Croft, which is a £3k preamp (and has seen off many much more expensive items in its day), and the Goldpoint has cost me less than £500 so far, so that should tell its own story in terms of where it's at sonically, and in terms of SPPV...

I'll be taking it along to the forthcoming Liverpool bake-off (at Oldius towers), so it'll be interesting what folks there think of it.

Yes, it's currently with Chris, receiving some further updates, so it'll be interesting how that sounds when it comes back. In stock form it was very good indeed

Marco.
    Aww.. right.
    I can 'believe' the bits of Silver wire, as it's 4% more ' conductive' than Copper, 'may' have audible effect. All 4 Inches of it.
    But a couple of Silly expensive resistors .. that only God herself could hear audible difference with.. Does stretch gullibility.
    Ermm.. What about all those other 21 (?) series resistors in the Dact gizmos? They brand Z foils too ???
    Or the dozen or two resistors in the audio path ..Before AND After the signal traverses the passive?

Wish MY hearing was acute enough to differentiate what only Very Expensive Laboratory grade Test gear has trouble identifying when only ONE resistor is in the test loop,

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    I can 'believe' the bits of Silver wire, as it's 4% more ' conductive' than Copper, 'may' have audible effect.
    Excellent. I'll let you know if I can hear one, after I collect the unit later today.

But a couple of Silly expensive resistors .. that only God herself could hear audible difference with.. Does stretch gullibility.
    I suggest that you read post #262, on the following link, where the resistor tests were carried out, with each type used exhibiting a different, easily discernible sonic signature, and where an explanation was given of why the Z-Foils 'won': http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...855#post690855

Ermm.. What about all those other 21 (?) series resistors in the Dact gizmos? They brand Z foils too ???
    Not yet, but that may happen. It'll simply depend on how far I want to go with this project.

Or the dozen or two resistors in the audio path ..Before AND After the signal traverses the passive?
    Indeed, and in those areas of my system some similarly "silly expensive resistors" exist. Everything matters when optimising a hi-fi system. However, at the moment this is simply about maxing out the passive. Trust your ears, be happy and enjoy the music, is my motto!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Thumbs up The benefits of keeping things simple...

Had a listen last night and I'm rather surprised (and shocked) at the level of improvement these recent mods have brought about!

I suspect that most of the sonic improvement gained has come from the hard-wiring and removal of the PCB... Anyway, more later, after an extended listen today

Marco.
    Main System

I'm James.

Think Glenn Croft also came to that conclusion when he decided to hard wire all his amps many years ago.

Would be interesting to have a standard Goldpoint to have as a comparison to see how far you have improved it?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

Does anyone dispute that hard wiring is better? I thought the only reason it isn't done universally is cost.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I believe that there are some misguided souls around who consider that a well-constructed PCB is better, including I believe, the chap who produces the Tisbury. The older models were all hard-wired point-to-point, but the newer ones feature a PCB, which is touted by the manufacturer as an 'improvement'!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Think Glenn Croft also came to that conclusion when he decided to hard wire all his amps many years ago.

Would be interesting to have a standard Goldpoint to have as a comparison to see how far you have improved it?
    Yup, Jimbo, Glenn got it right long ago. In terms of the latter, yes indeed. However, I have a sufficiently retentive memory to know that the unit, as configured now, is sonically in a totally different league!

And not as a result of any massive expenditure either, mostly just adjustments borne from common sense and good engineering practice....

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 175765666768 LastLast