+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decca magic

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    The Gold is better than the standard Maroon but it depends what version of Gold and if the Maroon has been tweaked.

The 'Pod' is a machined clamp to provide a more secure fit to the arm and is not plastic. It's an essential.

The Rega arm is suitable for use with Deccas.
    I preferred the Export Grey to the Gold and Maroon. It just sounded better to me. I quite like early Blues Londons too, they seem more weighty and vibrant than later offerings.

I dislike the 'Pod'. The stud threads strip easily and the supposed improvement in sound quality was simply not delivered. Using the old blob of BluTak above the cartridge body has a better effect in my book.

Deccas will work in Rega arms and their derivatives, but it's not a great match soundwise.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Deccas will work in Rega arms and their derivatives, but it's not a great match soundwise.
    Agreed. If you're going to the trouble of using a Decca you really ought to give it the best platform, ideally in a damped unipivot arm imho.

I'm Dave.

I prefer the Garrotted Dark Blue to any of them and still have 3 fitted with the original Tom Fletcher Pod. Nothing comes close but sadly, no longer available.

I've been using Deccas in Rega arms since the 80s and never had a problem. Of course, a top arm such as their RB2000 will improve things but there will be no issues with any Rega arm.

I'm James.

I preferred the Export Grey to the Gold and Maroon. It just sounded better to me. I quite like early Blues Londons too, they seem more weighty and vibrant than later offerings.

I dislike the 'Pod'. The stud threads strip easily and the supposed improvement in sound quality was simply not delivered. Using the old blob of BluTak above the cartridge body has a better effect in my book.

I agree with you on all accounts there Geoff:thumbsup
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Patrick.

I think Deccas need weight at the headshell which is why many prefer the old ones over the more flimsy new ones, and why many like Deccapods. So do play around with adding weight at the headshell.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Geoff, I have to disagree here - sorry! The decapod works beautifully and yes, you are screwing into a plastic frame inside the body. I find the sound is better and less 'twangy' although if you find blue-tac does the same or better, then good on you

I've been very spoiled by my Gold Microscanner. It's easily one of the very best cartridges I've ever heard and this from a time when I had a Revox IEC spec B77 High Speed and a small number copy-masters to play on it! I was amazed that it survived the Thorens 125 with R200 as well. The Thorens is gone now but I still have the R200 and shall never get rid of the Microscanner!

Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Geoff.

Dave. When I suggested Rega arms would not be ideal with Deccas, perhaps I should have been a little more specific. I meant the RB300/RB250 variants.

The R200 is a different kettle of fish, but still not an arm I'd entertain these days. I take it you've seen my past posts about the R200 Dave? They are unfortunately on their last legs. All will fail, due to the disintegrating anti skate belts. I sold mine after buying the last spare belt in the UK (worldwide?) and replacing the perished item on it. Sell it while it still works mate.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The Decca 4RC was fitted with an RC network to tame the top end. It is a different cartridge to the contemporary Decca C4E.

The Decca 'Maroon' (known as the Decca 'Plum' in the US) was essentially a Decca 'Blue', but made rather more carefully than the Blue. It was fitted with a spherical stylus like the Blue, whereas the Gold (in all its versions) had an elliptical tip.

Everyone should try a Decca cartridge before they die. They can be cantankerous, require enormous time and care in setting up, and like to be fed into a phonostage that has large headroom. But if you have a good sample and are prepared to take great care in installation and setup that the Deccas need, you will be rewarded with a presentation that is quite unique and a sense of 'being there' that is lacking from most other cartridges.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12