+ Reply to Thread
Page 100 of 177 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1768

Thread: 'Analog Dinosaur' succumbs to the joys of FBA : enter Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+!!

I'm Justin.

I'm Terry.

Just recieved my dac from Gordon - pluged in the headphones and the difference to the on board dac is immense !! Just a quick question though, how do i get to the alsmixer controls?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The other thing is, if you've got 450 people waiting for a DAC, as apparently was the case last time, you don't just produce a new batch of 500, or whatever (and so sell out again immediately, forcing folk to wait yet again) - you produce 1000 (or more) units, thus allowing stock to be held, and for new customers to order and receive their DACs quickly.

The fact is that potential customers have a finite level of patience, so you have to grab them while they're 'hot', otherwise they lose interest and go off and buy something else. I certainly don't wish to teach Gordon 'how to suck eggs', but if he wants his DAC to truly take off big time, then he has to be suitably switched on and 'dialled into' the bigger picture

Marco.

Success is the bane of small businesses, in the short term at least. The lead times for batch manufacture arent short, especially as a manufacturer will schedule a small run around any larger commitments for obvious reasons. Customers are disinclined to wait and so inital interest often evaporates just as you are gearing up to satisfy it... examples are legion.

1000 pieces is still a snall order - probably two or three hours on a single pick and place line, so you eill always suffer from scheduling issues with contract manufscturers.

It takes a significant amount of courage to commit your own money to a project like this.. if it doesnt take off you end up with a lot of unsalable stock. Given the very low unit prices I think gordons approsch is logical and justified. Yes, many will want to buy from stock but i bet they wouldnt like it the price of building and holding a large stock was built into the price.
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Alistair.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Just recieved my dac from Gordon - pluged in the headphones and the difference to the on board dac is immense !! Just a quick question though, how do i get to the alsmixer controls?
    Hi There,
    If you're on a windows PC then you will need a program called putty.
    When you have that running the input the ip address of the Pi into putty and it will open a command line window.
    Login: root
    Password: volumio
    When thats complete simply type in alsamixer and you'll be presented with the mixer settings.
    Use the up and down arrows to change the volume and the left and right arrows to change to other settings.
    When you're happy with that hit the esc key and then type exit to quit the cli.

Hope this helps,
    Cheers,
    Alistair

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Nice one Joe,
    I am sure when you have plugged the DAC in, it will work fine, if your going to use it with your preamp, be sure to override the volume control in the Volumio settings as it just degrades the sound!
    A...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Righto...

Not got the Dac board as yet but I decided to fire the Pi up and sort out the settings etc.

So far... er so good with no sound... lol

Volumio is working in my browser, plugged the USB drive in and it's updated with the file list. All files are visible and playable, obviously with no sound at the mo.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by Aligauld View Post
    Hi There,
    When you have that running the input the ip address of the Pi into putty and it will open a command line window.
    When thats complete simply type in alsamixer and you'll be presented with the mixer settings.
    Use the up and down arrows to change the volume and the left and right arrows to change to other settings.

Hope this helps,
    Cheers,
    Alistair
    Thank you Alistair, very kind of you, i will try it now.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Nice one Joe,
    I am sure when you have plugged the DAC in, it will work fine, if your going to use it with your preamp, be sure to override the volume control in the Volumio settings as it just degrades the sound!
    A...
    Thanks Anthony.

Should be good... I have looked for the override on the volume but I couldn't see it... any idea?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Graeme.

Thanks Anthony.

Should be good... I have looked for the override on the volume but I couldn't see it... any idea?
    I think the information is in here:

Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Hi There,

Hope this helps,
    Cheers,
    Alistair

I'm Josie.

ah, righto...thanks

Must admit though, it seems a bit odd that the bypass can't be controlled via Volumio.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Alan.

ah, righto...thanks

Must admit though, it seems a bit odd that the bypass can't be controlled via Volumio.
    Menu | MPD | Volume Control - Disabled

+ Reply to Thread