+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tubehunter's monoblock 405 amplifiers

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Default Tubehunter's monoblock 405 amplifiers

Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    ...or the equally stunning sounding Quad 405s Duncan had modified into monoblocks (more on those later).
    Hi Marco,

Are you able to divulge any details? Has Duncan bridged a standard Quad 405 (effectively turning it into a '410')? Does the bridging connect the amplifiers in series or in parallel? Has Duncan applied any other mods such as those suggested by the likes of Dada or NET or those of Keith Snook?

Cheers
    Last edited by Barry; 23-05-2017 at 15:07. Reason: error corrected
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Barry,

I'll flag this thread up to Dunc, and he'll hopefully reply with all the details you need. All I know is that they sound STUNNING - unquestionably the best SS amps I've ever heard in my system!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Duncan.

Hi Barry,

The Quad 405 Mk2's are a single board in each case with 22,000uf 63v F & T power supply capacitors.
    Each board has been taken to Keith Snook Mod 3 level but keeping the inverted input with OPA604 Op-Amps.
    All components, where possible are measured to within 1% tolerance with all resistors changed for PRP PR9372 Audio Resistors.
    Polystyrene Film capacitors are used in the signal path.
    Elna Cerafines where electrolytics are required.
    All transistors changed for higher specification devices.
    Power supply to the op-amps has been improved also.
    K4700 Loudspeaker protection boards fitted which mean the Quad clamp circuits can be removed.
    Also with the higher power output transistors the current limiters have been removed.
    One of the most noticeable upgrades regarding sound quality is the move of C8 to the emitter of Tr2

Regards
    Duncan

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Were these mk2 boards to start with? (starting with issue 7)

Quad made many layout changes over the life of this amp, but I don't know how many versions of the mk2 boards were done ('my' era was issue 7, but I believe they're up to issue 10 now if you buy virgin boards from them)
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Duncan.

My Quad 405's originally had M12368 ISS 5 and ISS 9 boards.

I happened on some M12565 ISS 7 (405 Mk2) the latest boards, without Tr3 so modified these.
    405 Mk2's started with M12565 ISS 3 and finished with ISS 7.

I think ISS 10 refers to the circuit diagram M12333

Duncan

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Thanks Duncan,

That's interesting, but in what way are they monoblocks? Have you bridged the (normally) two channels in any way?

Regards
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Duncan.

Hi Barry

There's a just single board in each case.

+ Reply to Thread