+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Lampizator Level 7

I'm Gareth.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Kedar's summary is good.

There's quite a lot of info in the thread. I haven't the time/inclination to supply much more.

Gareth - do you own a Big 7 (are your system details out of date?)
    Fair enough. No I don't have a B7 at this point.
    Sources: Auralic Aries streamer + Auralic Vega DAC, Oppo BDP-105D, Technics SL-1210 MkII (modification in progress - currently all stock + Achromat + Ortofon MC-3 Turbo) | Preamp: Mark Levinson No. 326S with phono board | Amp: Mark Levinson No. 532H | Speakers: Revel Salon 2 | Cables: Chord Sarum

I'm Justin.

Basically if you do get one Gareth try at least a few valve types to tune it to your tastes/system. Your tastes won't be mine I suspect, not the least because of the rest of your system. You can deduce my ranking order from what I have said.

Enjoy

I'm Ked.

There is a nice B7 tube shootout here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129512.0

I'm Ked.

I'm Tony.

Lads on a Level4 reading a variety of threads a few valves are suggested for the ECC40 valves. Tungsram, Phillips white label and on occasion some strange variants.
    What valves will work in that position and where are you buying them? Thanks in advance.

I'm Jack.

Default 6A3 in 45 Position?

Hi Justin,

Very nice tubes you have there. I own the two-box L7 DAC and I can confirm the effect of tube rolling. You may also want to roll the rectifier tube as well, yours' 6x5 or 5U4G? I found the Raytheon 6x5 much better than the Russian counterpart.

I wonder if you just plug the 6A3 into the Big7 and run it without modification? I think the 6A3 has 6 volt filament while the 45/2A3 has 2.5V so that means the 6A3 will be running with a very low filament voltage: ~2.5V vs 6V. Similar for the VT-52 which has 7V filament. This may work just fine as tubes are very resilient.

Happy listening.

Jack

I'm Justin.

The Sylvania VT52 is 6.3V. Lucasz says it is fine to use them, as is the 6A3.

I really don't like the Raytheon, which just goes to show.

You are right about voltages otherwise. 6A3 - don't try it in a 2A3 setup L7. It sounds distorted.

As I have said you exceed allowable Wattage with 6A3 in the 2A3 position.

I'm gone.

This is an amazingly nerdy thread, even by hifi forum standards!

Carry on as you were ... ...

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by tonerei View Post
    Lads on a Level4 reading a variety of threads a few valves are suggested for the ECC40 valves. Tungsram, Phillips white label and on occasion some strange variants.
    What valves will work in that position and where are you buying them? Thanks in advance.
    ECC40 doesn't have much in the way of rolling options. Most were made by Tungsram. I have some Tungsram totally NOS apart from 3 hours use. PM if interested.

Does your Lampi have any other sockets?

I'm Norm.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    Gareth general consensus is 6A3, VT52s, 45s and 101Ds are all good. VT52s are super 45s, which are 45s with a bit more power. Also, 6A3 and VT52s, if you can get them, are available relatively cheap. VT52 will go up to $400 for the pair, I think, 6A3 cheaper. The Western Electric 101Ds are $2000.

So given that, it is safe to start off with a 6A3 and a VT52. 300Bs are also expensive, so better demo 300b and 101D if you can before buying. For the others, it is easier to buy on faith.
    Forget about vintage WE 101ds...overpriced unobtanium! Try the metal base PSVANE W.E. Replica 101ds for about $550 on Ebay. I agree with Justin that the 6A3 (typically $150) a pair on Ebay is by far the best buy. It MAY be just shaded by the Sophia Electric Carbon Princess 300b (2.5v NOT 5V as the normal 300Bs are). These go for about $525 a pair with 30 day warranty and are meant as a 2A3 replacement tube.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast