+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Lampizator Level 7

I'm Justin.

Triode pile so far...

I'm Justin.

I am finding 6.3 Volt triodes, working in the 45 position to give the best results so far. Quite why this is the case I do not know.

The VT52, pictured below, is probably the 2nd best so far. It seems to me to sound the most accurate. It gives some superbly controlled, weighty bass, which the 45 triodes don't quite have, with excellent separation of individual instruments. It really is supremely clear. The soundstage is relatively closed in compared to some of the contenders, but it just sounds so subjectively precise. Like it isn't acting and trying to BIG things up. I really like it.

If anyone understands US Army Signal Corps order codes I wonder if the 42 stands for 1942, in which case those boxes are OLD. These are claimed unused.

More on the VT52 can be found here. It is a curious valve to say the least.

Last edited by User211; 02-11-2014 at 14:31.

I'm Justin.

Greater familiarity with the Cunningham CX-345 and afterwards the Philco 45 reveals a mild issue with these tubes, for me.

It became apparent after sometime that there is some sort of mid-range hype with both of these. They give immense mid-range detail. On some program material that just doesn't work, on others it does, and on other stuff you just don't notice it. After a while I found myself hitting them with about -2 to 4DB parametric EQ at 4KHz with a Q ranging from 0.5 to 1, depending on program, mood, and, well, just what I felt like entering with the material playing. This tames the mid range hype considerably. It isn't something you really want to have to do, though.

Make no mistake, these are lively, fast sounding valves.

Whilst the bass is good, it doesn't match the VT52 or even the next contender.

CX-345 globe

Philco 45 - ST shape. Quite petite, really.

I'm Justin.

And now for the cheapest valves so far. I paid the precise sum of £52.60 for these.

I had read on some site a post by someone who seemed to have tried a veritable wealth of different triodes. On top of that list he rated the 6A3 the best he tried. Better check some out, I thought.

So, enter the Tung Sol smoked glass 6A3. These things are ridiculously great sounding devices. Soundstage size is somewhere between the EML and the VT52. Bass, mid-range and treble is all top class with these. They really are euphonic buggers from top to bottom. Quite how they manage to pull it off with all sorts of program material I do not know, but they do.

The priority here seems to be just to sound great regardless. Probably not too accurate but amazingly not super-coloured sounding either.

There don't seem to be many left, but the price is a joke for the performance on offer, at least in this DAC. There seem to be a lot of 6B4G valves around. May try those next with an adaptor. There is someone stateside saying the Sylvania 6A3 is even better. Less confused on complex passages, but TBH I don't hear much confusion going on with the Tung Sol. That said, the Sylv. VT52 IS cleaner, so I can see that maybe the Sylv. 6A3 has a similar type of sound to the Sylv. VT52.

The Tung Sols are used but measure very well. They are NOT good in the 2A3 position - they sound distorted. They go over the 6.2 Watts max I found out later - 6.5 I am told.

Excellent results are also being reported with the 300B in the 2A3 switch position.

I'm Justin.

6A3 inspired by Interstage Tranny's post here here.

300B results will of course depend on which 300Bs you use. If the thoriated tungsten ELROGs weren't so expensive...

I'm Ked.

I got the Hytron VT52s, and 6A3s I have one Lafayette and one Tung Sol that look the same construction

I'm Justin.

Well one of my Tung Sols is branded Aristocrat (didn't show it in the pic), but it is defo a Tung Sol.

Congrats I reckon you have picked well Kedar. Journey hasn't ended. There may be better still out there!

However, if anything beats the TS 6A3 I'll be amazed. That is to my ears in my system. Some speakers/ears will favour other valves I am sure.

I'm Gareth.

Great thread Justin, a very interesting read - its a little tricky (for people like me who are a little new to tubes anyway) to keep up with all the tubes you've tested and how you rank them, and what their positives/negatives are.

Any chance of a quick summary of how you rank the tubes you've tested and a brief review of sound stage size/focus/separation, detail retrieval/resolution and bass definition/extension relative to one another and to the stock tubes that come with the B7, plus a quick comment on the overall presentation (warm, smooth, clinical etc) of each?
    Sources: Auralic Aries streamer + Auralic Vega DAC, Oppo BDP-105D, Technics SL-1210 MkII (modification in progress - currently all stock + Achromat + Ortofon MC-3 Turbo) | Preamp: Mark Levinson No. 326S with phono board | Amp: Mark Levinson No. 532H | Speakers: Revel Salon 2 | Cables: Chord Sarum

I'm Ked.

Gareth general consensus is 6A3, VT52s, 45s and 101Ds are all good. VT52s are super 45s, which are 45s with a bit more power. Also, 6A3 and VT52s, if you can get them, are available relatively cheap. VT52 will go up to $400 for the pair, I think, 6A3 cheaper. The Western Electric 101Ds are $2000.

So given that, it is safe to start off with a 6A3 and a VT52. 300Bs are also expensive, so better demo 300b and 101D if you can before buying. For the others, it is easier to buy on faith.

I'm Justin.

Kedar's summary is good.

There's quite a lot of info in the thread. I haven't the time/inclination to supply much more.

Gareth - do you own a Big 7 (are your system details out of date?)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast