+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: NEBO 4 (North East Bake Off)

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Alan, my colleague here at work Lisa loves your T shirt!
    LOL thanks Yeah I love Reel 2 Reel, class isn't it, I have it in black and grey, a R2R and a pair of head phones is my Ipod LOL, just isn't as transportable on the bus or tube,
    Probably just goes to show what an old fart I am LOL
    Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Deleted.

I've just noticed the Paradise phono doesn't have the Calvin buffers fitted - imagine if it had.....
    Account Deleted

I'm Alan.

Mark, I have the calvin Boards and Si has sent me some parts but I am not going to fit them just yet as I have to many other projects on the go. The phono stage is working and sounding good so that will have to do for now.
    Do the calvins make much difference?

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Deleted.

Default NEBO 4 (North East Bake Off)

Not a vast amount Alan. There is a small inductor on the boards that is shown as a hand made coil of wire. I've since bought the actual correct value inductor but despite having it for three weeks I haven't got round to fitting it yet .

I only did the finishing off on my Calvins but they were still a bit of a PITA to fit - removing mother boards, making spacers, drilling boards (making drilling jigs), cutting out components etc...
    Account Deleted

I'm Steve.

Default NEBO 4. A great day.

Big thanks to everyone who came to NEBO 4. I hope we made some new friends. personally i think that the day was an absolute joy. here is what i posted on my website.....http://progmeister.com/nebo-4-august-9th-2014

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Steve,

It was a fab event, mate, so many thanks again for hosting it. I’ll defo come to the next one (get there early enough next time) and bring my Techy with me!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Over the next few weeks i am going to give thought to NEBO 5. Should anyone have any suggestions about anything they would like to see included or how i can improve things please let me know. I will try to get the management of the venue to allow an earlier start time. I am open to constructive criticism guys in order to make NEBO meetings better, Let me know your views. I would love to see more AOS members attend and put more faces to names.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I’d like to come to the next one, Steve, and bring my Techy this time (and possibly Croft preamp), so an earlier start, preferably sometime in the morning, would be much appreciated. Ideally, I’d like to get there for around 10am and leave about 6pm, to go back down the road, rather than like last time, leave at 10.45pm, and get back in about 2am….

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ken.

Default Nebo5

Hi Steve

The Windmill is a great venue with food drink and accomodation on site, also it's located on a major trunk road so easy to get to and find, it would get my vote for future events.

The adjoining rooms kind of work, but wow, was it hot. This may not be such a problem as outside temperatures are cooling now but..........

Have you thought about using the larger function room below these two rooms, it would be cooler and have better accoustics as the ceiling is higher and it has a solid floor. The low ceilings in the rooms upstairs (less than the average house) are not ideal and the suspended floor proved a problem in one room particularly, with vinyl replay suffering baddly with foot fall, no matter how carefully YOU tried to walk past .

My main reason for prefering the ground floor room is that you don't have to navigate the narrow stairs with big speakers, delicate turntables (concrete speaker plinths) etc. I turned up with a speaker on a sack truck and the stairs had me beat. In the ground floor room you could set up 2 systems on opposite walls and have the seats back to back between them, the room is big enough. You could argue that it is bigger than the average home listening room so things might not sound comparable, but I think this is a minor draw back compared with the positive points, oh and its closer to the bar .

Some food for thought, what do other folks think?

edit: I'll second the early start.
    Might be good to start a new thread for NEBO5 even at this early stage?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Have you thought about using the larger function room below these two rooms, it would be cooler and have better accoustics as the ceiling is higher and it has a solid floor. The low ceilings in the rooms upstairs (less than the average house) are not ideal and the suspended floor proved a problem in one room particularly, with vinyl replay suffering baddly with foot fall, no matter how carefully YOU tried to walk past .

?
    I'd agree. The venue is near perfect (if a little bit distant from the civilised world) but the suspended floor was an issue.

You could also try and negotiate a discount at the bar. We did seem to get through a fair amount of ale between us all so might be worth asking
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast