+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hello

I'm peter.

Default hello

hello, my name is peter and I live in central scotland

been lurking here a while after stumbling across the site while researching file based music. there seems to be a great depth of knowledge here about all sorts and a friendly vibe, so I have joined in.

my taste in music is varies through rock, blues, country, folk, alternative and jazz, or at least thats what itunes says.

my current system is digital as most of my collection is cd's as well as having a macbook and dac to try file based play of hi-res and flac. I also lust after a nice vinyl set up but haven't got around to it yet.

having now got a bigger room with treatments and a floating floor I am on the move to larger speakers but at the moment my system is a very late karik/numerik CD player with a nordost silver cable, amps are bryston bp25/4bst, speakers are b&w 805 signatures on sound anchors. cables by tara labs, ps audio, mit and a fair bit of diy, power is supplied from a ps audio P10 on a radial, screened 4mm supply with it's own earth (I'm an electrical engineer of sorts)

I've learned a lot with this addiction and hope to learn a lot more here, although I am very happy with the sound I'm getting, I know change is not far off.

other interests are based around going up and down mountains, my kids and my cars, usual sort of stuff

I'm ChrisB.

Hi Peter,
    Welcome to AoS. It's nice to have you here.

I'm Geoff.

Well keep us briefed about impending system changes Peter. I'm sure there are members with knowledge of any components you may have in mind who can give an opinion.

I may be wrong, but I must say, Nordost Silver, Bryston and B&W, maybe add up to a somewhat forward or bright system. You have good taste in cables though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Peter.

Bryston amps - very nice, as is your taste in music.

Where are the mountains you like to ascend and descend?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry

I'm Dave.

Hi Peter,welcome to AOS.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm peter.

thank you all for the welcome,
    I have kind of stumbled across the system I have now, is it bright? not so much bright but somewhat lacking in bass energy which could be regarded as bright I guess. since moving into a huge room it does lack bottom end and until the amps warm up, at least an hour, then it can be bright and forward. once all warmed up everything appears in the right place at the right distance across the soundstage and balance is very good for the size of speakers. I'm avoiding going the subwoofer route and saving pennies to get some full range speakers soon, I will no doubt be asking for experience on that front. I know I need to replace them but I do really like these little speakers and worry about changing them out. speaker positioning and a change from a PPP to a P10 powerplant got the most recent improvement in balance to make me content with them even in a huge room. On the cables, it's pretty much all copper in there except for the nordost, it stepped up the fine detail the linn combo produces and I've not had anything better yet to compare it with. It is quite a bit better than the linn digital cable though.
    I may well be blinkered just now with a speaker upgrade at the expense of something less obvious so I'm always open to opinions.

Mountains? mainly around scotland, the lakes and snowdonia but I'm over 100 alpine trips now and have been to the rockies and the appalachians a few times but don't really like flying anymore.
    Last edited by evir; 25-05-2014 at 23:19.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by evir View Post
    I'm avoiding going the subwoofer route and saving pennies to get some full range speakers soon.
    Hi Peter, I think that may be the right route. Get speakers that drive the room properly and sound well balanced. Others may disagree, but I've never been entirely convinced by separate subwoofers.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Welcome good sir.

+ Reply to Thread