+ Reply to Thread
Page 79 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast

Thread: Gromit's music centre...

I'm gone.

Ha! - I recall a bakeoff in South Wales - near the end a vintage Exposure amp was installed.
    Everyone there, I mean everyone, was positively drooling at the sound it made.
    Except me! - I was totally baffled why anyone would want to listen to such a diffuse, rolled-off and wishy-washy sound!
    You're missing the point, they all said. Damned if I could hear the point! - I guess I'm not an Exposure kind of guy.

Hopefully your system at Scalford will show me the way to the True Path, Richard. I'm much looking forward to hearing your Exposure there.
    Last edited by jandl100; 06-02-2014 at 07:41.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Hi Jerry - basically, I'm taking as many bits as our wee Skoda will carry.

PL-71/Benz/Dino2 & NCPSU
    303ES CD player & MacBook & Teac Dac.
    The Sony ES & Exposure XV
    Q2010i's & Snell K's
    Assorted bits'n'bobs

I'm also delivering the Puresound A30 and ProAc Super Tabs to folk who've bought them so it'll be a bit tight in the car. May actually need to make 2 trips but no big deal as we're only 30-35 mins away.
    Not a lot then Richard
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Ha! - I recall a bakeoff in South Wales - near the end a vintage Exposure amp was installed.
    Except me! - I was totally baffled why anyone would want to listen to such a diffuse, rolled-off and wishy-washy sound!
    You're missing the point, they all said. Damned if I could hear the point! - I guess I'm not an Exposure kind of guy.

Hopefully your system at Scalford will show me the way to the True Path, Richard. I'm much looking forward to hearing your Exposure there.
    Resistance is futile Jerry.

Actually what you said re your reaction to the amp does ring slightly true. I plugged in the XV about an hour after it arrived on tuesday and first thought 'oh lordy - it just sounds so flat and lifeless'. In other words the polar opposite to what I find so endearing about these old amps - that worried me. However...

Letting the amp sit and warm - just for an hour or so whilst I went out for bit - the thing jumped into life. Totally different, sounding bigger, brighter and with that lovely drive in the bass which Exposure amps do so well. Its phonostage is the icing on the cake, easily as good as the Dino2/NCPSU which I'm a huge fan of.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Seppi.

The question is Sony or Exposure, which stays?

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by shevans View Post
    The question is Sony or Exposure, which stays?
    Now that, Seppi, is the $64000 question.

Would be great to keep both - they're both fantastic in their own ways. The Sony is soooo powerful, full of control and just seems to have almost limitless headroom with my speakers in my room. It also sounds slightly larger than the Exposure, and is definitely less music-dependant (ie just play what you like through - it just gets on with it). The Exposure just makes me want to leap around like a loon.

And the Sony has remote control - just so damn convenient.
    Richard.

Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Lol! Sounds to me like there was some sort of mismatch (possibly with the speakers being used at the time). Any Exposure amp I've heard has sounded rather Naim-like (when done well), but smoother, i.e. 'funky' and bass-driven, a little mid-forward, but with bags of fun-factor!

"Rolled-off and wishy-wishy" they (usually) ain't....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Seppi.

Now that, Seppi, is the $64000 question.

Would be great to keep both - they're both fantastic in their own ways. The Sony is soooo powerful, full of control and just seems to have almost limitless headroom with my speakers in my room. It also sounds slightly larger than the Exposure, and is definitely less music-dependant (ie just play what you like through - it just gets on with it). The Exposure just makes me want to leap around like a loon.

And the Sony has remote control - just so damn convenient.
    Two systems it is then

If you have a streamer, aka Sonos / Squeezebox you could then control the volume by iThing but for vinyl you are already out of your seat every few mins so the remote matters not
    Last edited by shevans; 06-02-2014 at 11:41. Reason: Typo

I'm Andy.

Resistance is futile Jerry.

Actually what you said re your reaction to the amp does ring slightly true. I plugged in the XV about an hour after it arrived on tuesday and first thought 'oh lordy - it just sounds so flat and lifeless'. In other words the polar opposite to what I find so endearing about these old amps - that worried me. However...

Letting the amp sit and warm - just for an hour or so whilst I went out for bit - the thing jumped into life. Totally different, sounding bigger, brighter and with that lovely drive in the bass which Exposure amps do so well. Its phonostage is the icing on the cake, easily as good as the Dino2/NCPSU which I'm a huge fan of.

Pardon? l want a refund!
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Pardon? l want a refund!

This morning is being spent comparing the 2 amps back to back which is, shall we say, proving to be somewhat illuminating and not quite what I was expecting. It's also bloody annoying, but will leave it at that for now and get back later.
    Richard.

I'm Paul.

This morning is being spent comparing the 2 amps back to back which is, shall we say, proving to be somewhat illuminating and not quite what I was expecting. It's also bloody annoying, but will leave it at that for now and get back later.
    Sounds perhaps like it's a closer run thing than you were expecting then?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 79 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast