+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LCR DIY phonostage

I'm Francois.

Cool LCR DIY phonostage

Morning everyone,

Does anyone has experienced these before?

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/opcart/...&product_id=62

I have been teased into considering an LCR RIAA phono for a while.
    Any hard feelings or sweet memories from any of the inhouse DIYers and AOS vinyl junkies?

As always much appreciated help, thoughts, warnings etc...

Best

F
    Francois, Bergerac, France
    Source component/s:
    Musical Fidelity M1 Dac, Allo Digi One, Sony SCD-XE800, AVID Ingenium Twin arm, Audio Note Arm One, Groovemaster II 12in, Audio Note IQ3 MM, Denon DL103R MC, Croft Basic 25, TQ Iridium Phonostage, Puresound T10 Stepup Transformer, Zavfino majestic tonearm cable
    Amplification:
    Audio Note OTO PP, Dussun V6i
    Loudspeakers:
    Triangle Comete ES, Klispch RP600M
    Cables/stands:
    Quadraspire, Belden 9497

I'm Nick.

Not that kit no, but I have built several LCR's pver the years starting with the S&B modules, and I know someone who has been working on perfecting one for at least 5 years. They can and often do sound astonishingly good. The constant impedance a LCR presents to the first stage gives you midrange I have never heard on a non LCR stage. I would be really interesting to compare the results of that kit to the 5 year project.
    Nick.

I'm Francois.

That sounds promising. Cheers Nick.
    Allnic does a LCR design too. Maybe I should try to demo it before switching the sodering iron.
    Source component/s:
    Musical Fidelity M1 Dac, Allo Digi One, Sony SCD-XE800, AVID Ingenium Twin arm, Audio Note Arm One, Groovemaster II 12in, Audio Note IQ3 MM, Denon DL103R MC, Croft Basic 25, TQ Iridium Phonostage, Puresound T10 Stepup Transformer, Zavfino majestic tonearm cable
    Amplification:
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables/stands:
    Quadraspire, Belden 9497

I'm Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankyc2003 View Post
    That sounds promising. Cheers Nick.
    Allnic does a LCR design too. Maybe I should try to demo it before switching the sodering iron.
    I've heard a few different DIY ones now. They've included L parts from Silk, Dave Slagle, Hashimoto and my current home made item uses some modules made by a now deceased French chap called Gilbert Preyale. The Allnic models are also very good. As said above, get the calculations right, use appropriate amplification around the filter and the results can be extraordinary. I also sell a solid state design using Lundahl inductors called the Aurorasound Vida. That too has the good characteristics.

I certainly wouldn't want to return to non LCR Eq for my home use anyway.

I'm Clive.

Hi Francois, I have a Vinyl Song LCR. It has many great qualities, bass, coherence etc. There a certain rightness and sophistication about it. Some lesser cartridges that need spicing up I find are better with solidstate.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Francois.

Cheers all for the info.
    I do run my Sumiko Blue point Evoiii with a Whest 2, and it's very good. But I will at some point return to a more hi-end MC, so LCR seems an interesting option.
    Source component/s:
    Amplification:
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables/stands:
    Quadraspire, Belden 9497

+ Reply to Thread