+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tinned copper cable bad for audio?

I'm Gary.

Default Tinned copper cable bad for audio?

What about using tinned copper cable for a dc power hookup cable?

Bit left field, but what about something like this for a DC cable..
    Lapp Solar PV stuff...seems over specced for a 12v application but as long as theres no harm done...
    http://lapplimited.lappgroup.com/pro...r-xls-r-t.html

From the whole resistance is inversely proportional to CSA thing, I'm assuming thinner stuff like Kimber would drop a fair bit of voltage at this length. I'm doing a long run (2.5m) and trying to avoid voltage drops if possible.

Or would it not matter.

thanks.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    What about using tinned copper cable for a dc power hookup cable?

Bit left field, but what about something like this for a DC cable..
    Lapp Solar PV stuff...seems over specced for a 12v application but as long as theres no harm done...
    http://lapplimited.lappgroup.com/pro...r-xls-r-t.html

From the whole resistance is inversely proportional to CSA thing, I'm assuming thinner stuff like Kimber would drop a fair bit of voltage at this length. I'm doing a long run (2.5m) and trying to avoid voltage drops if possible.

Or would it not matter.

thanks.
    considering what system you have it won't matter as you cannot polish a turd!

I'm Gary.

Says who?

so mr wizard....tinned copper, good or bad?
    Thinking skin effect at higher audio frequencies..does this actually matter for a DC power cable.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 04-09-2013 at 16:50.

I'm Alex.

I don't know about that cable but given that the insulation is rated at 1500VDC it will be a lot thicker and less flexible than it needs to be -I'd go with a LV cable..

This auto electrics table suggests the size of conductor necessary to estimate what current can be carried while ensuring a less than 3% drop for a given length:

http://www.campertrailers.org/collyns_page.htm
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Gary.

Great link Alex, completely answers the question of cable length vs voltage drop.
    about 5amps, just under 3m run but a twin run as the article says, so 4mm will be fine I reckon, might get the 6mm anyway, ac ouple of mill bigger all around, no big.

Less than 3% Vdrop is pretty good.

That lapp cable is actually not too bad size wise considering its rating?
    Specs here: http://edgecdn.lappgroup.com/fileadm...B0023980EN.pdf

Its tinned copper though, will that matter?

thanks.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 04-09-2013 at 17:03.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Says who?

so mr wizard....tinned copper, good or bad?
    Thinking skin effect at higher audio frequencies..does this actually matter for a DC power cable.
    No.

I'm Paul.

Why should tinned copper be any worse than un-tinned copper or oFC for power transfer? Ignore the nonsense, it's perfectly fine as a conductor for your purposes.

A potted history:

Bare copper corrodes, hence many cables come tinned. It's there to inhibit corrosion.

The avionics business especially military helicopter development, saw many failures of avionics systems through two failure modes in wiring prior to optic fibres taking over: Firstly cyclic fatigue and secondly corrosion (which contributed to the first failure mode) of ordinary coppers led to the use of extruded Electrolytic Tough Pitch Coppers (or Oxygen Free Copper) as it was more malleable and resistant to corrosion. It was developed for the science industry for things like production of semi-conductors where the purity of the copper meant less risk of chemical reactions with these sensitive processes. It has some beneficial uses in hifi such as decent conductivity (but no ore than some other tough pitch Coppers) and better resistance to corrosion.

The hifi business sort of hijacked OFC as "their own" when it was nothing of the sort, but it does have some decent properties compared with non-OFC coppers. It makes no difference whatsoever which you intend using as a power or hook-up cable. Just choose one with the correct power rating and insulation rating and it's job done. I tend to use OFC simply for its better corrosion resistance.

I'm Neal.

Paul, stop posting such sensible advise you'll give the forum a bad name.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Gary.

Paul, top advice.
    Thanks.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Paul, stop posting such sensible advise you'll give the forum a bad name.
    perish the thought...

+ Reply to Thread