+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Thing's GL75 Project

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'm still not sure the hardness of the stock bearing could take the extra mass. What exactly is to be achieved by stacking platters?

Wouldn't you get a similar effect with a little resistance added in series with the motor? When HiFi Sound tried it with the G99 back in 1968, the motor noise reduced by 10db or so and torque wasn't adversely affected, the "kick" on startup being beneficially reduced a little. Sonically, I never heard it sound worse when I tried it... Just a thought.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Geoff.

My thoughts too. The bearing will be taking a lot of stress and any wear will aggravate this.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'm only saying this because the stock Lenco bearing was designed economically for the mass it had to carry and no more, in a similar way to the stock Techie bearing. No point at all in over-engineering this part and in any case, many old Lencos with much the same bearing design and platter mass are still reasonably ok after 50 years or more use. I'm probably just being over-cautious, as is my wont, but beefing up the top plate, or properly coupling as much of it as possible to the plinth structure, may be a better first step for sonics?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I'm still not sure the hardness of the stock bearing could take the extra mass. What exactly is to be achieved by stacking platters?

Wouldn't you get a similar effect with a little resistance added in series with the motor? When HiFi Sound tried it with the G99 back in 1968, the motor noise reduced by 10db or so and torque wasn't adversely affected, the "kick" on startup being beneficially reduced a little. Sonically, I never heard it sound worse when I tried it... Just a thought.
    I explained all this a few pages ago, but if you're interested and you obviously are or you wouldn't have commented, have a read of this - http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=6702.0

It go's some way to explain why...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    My thoughts too. The bearing will be taking a lot of stress and any wear will aggravate this.
    As I mentioned before, nobody running stacked platters (some for many years) have had any bearing problems...
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.

Street photography

Dave

I'm Steve.

Hi, I have played around with Lencos for a few years and have tried stock stacked Lenco platters,
    Personaly i didnt find any great benifit from it compared to a thick rubber L78 mat. From a mass point of view i believe 1 platter is more than adequate.

Some say Idler noise transfer to the platter is reduced by stacked platters, but i didnt find this to be the case, perhaps due to extra loading on the drive system and bearing, or perhaps just down to my cloth ears.

I do however use an acrylic gyro platter stacked on the Lenco platter, weight under 2kg, this did change the souind quite a lot, the addition of a record clamp improved things further. Perhaps a simple acrylic mat would have the same sonic effect, dunno, i must try one.

The top bush in the standard Lenco bearing can and does wear, so make sure your deck is of course spot on level.

Heres a shot of my uprated bearing effort with longer sleaves.

I'm Dave.

As we all know Steve sound is a very subjective subject. One man's CD is another mans mug mat and all that...

I can hear the difference stacked platters make quite a lot as you say you didn't. Hey ho.

I suppose it's a blessing we are all different...

I have seen various bearing upgrades and it may be something I will look into should the need arise but thus far all seems to be running as it should.

Street photography

Dave

I'm Steve.

Hi Dave, not meaning to critsize in any way.

Yep, thats very true, sound is a VERY subjective subject

Love the Tiktok. I am a huge Zappa fan too!

Happy listening
    Last edited by SteveO; 18-03-2013 at 17:38.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
    My stacked platters are finally assembled and sounding fantastic.

I have the requisite platter rings on order and they should arrive any day now. Meanwhile I have put some black electrical tape round the top platter to lessen the hypnotic effect of the balance holes spinning round.

Only the new plinth to be added and the project will be complete.

Overall view of the room showing my new Spendor speakers. They may look too close to the rear wall but I have tried pulling them out and there is no real difference in soundstage.

They were a revelation when I first tried them. The first record I put on I was shocked! Where was the bass? I checked all connectors and phasing of the cables. Everything checked out. I decided to calm down and try another record. Then it happened. It was a pure 'bloody hell' moment. The bass was there it was just so much more natural. Vocals, drums and strings sound so much more real than with the Linn Keilidh's. Thank heaven I decided to take the plunge and buy these babies. They sound great with the Croft pre/power. I am now a definite Spendor/Harbeth convert.

Just for the record all speaker wires, jumpers and interconnects are Tellurium Q black. Which still need to be burnt in but sound fantastic already so there is only more enjoyment to come.

Wish I could have a hifi in my living room! nice system mate.

I'm Dave.

Thanks David and many thanks again for setting me up with the Tellurium Q Black. Not sure how long burn in time might be but even at the moment it's sounding bloody great...

Street photography

Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast