+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lowther.

I'm Mika.

Interesting to hear that as I have been offered the Hørning Alkibiades as a part of the trade. These speakers are bit older design - each of the speaker is 190cm tall having one 15" bass driver with DX4 unit and the horn tweeter. The below pic is taken from 6moons site showing similar speakers at the background.

INteresting speaker that would fit to my room and most likely also for the amps. The bad news is that due to the distance I do not have possibility to hear these before the decision, so going bit blind/def here..
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mika K View Post
    INteresting speaker that would fit to my room and most likely also for the amps. The bad news is that due to the distance I do not have possibility to hear these before the decision, so going bit blind/def here..
    You just need to make sure that you get on with the basic Lowther sound.
    If you like the good bits and don't mind or don't hear the not so good bits - both aspects have been well and accurately documented in this thread already, imo - then I am sure you will be well pleased!

It looks like the Lowther 'whizzer' cone has been taken away in those Alkibiades - always a good thing, ime. But that just reduces the sonic problems that bother some listeners, and does not take them away completely.

Personally, I could not live with them - but I know quite a few folk who really love Lowthers!
    Last edited by jandl100; 06-01-2013 at 08:11.

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The best horn speakers I've heard were a pair of Tannoy GRF Autographs in Lasky's in the seventies and my home built Coral Beta 10 horns built in the eighties.

These were 10" Japanese Lowther 'clones' with a sensitivity of 102db/w. They were far better made than the Lowthers and were quoted as having 40 watts power handling far higher than Lowther's 12 watt figure back then. The potential for the Corals at 40 watts was 120db output. Devastatingly loud in a domestic environment. The cabinet was similar to the Acousta, but half as big again.

They sounded quite amazing, far cleaner than my previous Acoustas and incredibly tight, the bass would smack you in the belly.
    Missed this.. I used to have a pair of Coral 'Beta 8's yonks ago, they were actually one of the best sounding speakers ive ever owned & one of my first ever DIY jobs.. I would 100% buy another pair if i saw them but i doubt id get them for the £25 i paid back then.. They were beautifully made units that's for sure..If i remember the '8's had a lower power handling than the bigger '10's..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123