+ Reply to Thread

Thread: T-amp for AV?

I'm Jerry.

Default T-amp for AV?

Does any one make a 5.1 or 7.1 t-amp? It strikes me that the low cost, small size and low heat output would make them ideal for AV use.
    I suppose you could take the output from a processor and feed it to 5 t-amps but I don't fancy getting that idea past the wife!
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Confused.

Jerry,
    Wouldn't you only need 3 Mini-Ts for 5.1? 1 for Centre and Sub, 1 for 2 front and 1 for 2 rear? I've no idea whether that would be possible or whether getting 3 past the wife rather than 5 would be any more likely but I just thought I'd ask the question .
    Dave.

BTW, do you always get naked to play the piano?
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Jerry.

Your right for 5.1 Dave but in my case I would prefer 7.1 as I have seven speakers plus a sub woofer in my living room. Oh and the sub woofer receives an un-amplified signal as it has its own amp.
    I have had to stop nude piano playing Dave as I have received complaints about skid marks on the stool.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I have had to stop nude piano playing Dave as I have received complaints about skid marks on the stool.
    And it gets confusin' if you wipe the skidmarks off with your fingers and transfer them to the keys .
    But you'd only need 4 Mini-Ts to do 7.1 - just a tad easier to get past the missus than 5 .
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Hi Jerry, I'm 100% sure I have seen multi channel class T or D amps intended for what would be known as installation. In fact I have one here myself, an eight channel amp Lab Gruppen C20:8X, all £3K of it for £500 delivered

I suggest you do what I did when looking for similar, type "channel amplifier" into ebay search, you'll be surprised what you find given a little time...

There are sixteen channel amps out there

They do appear to be very flexible though, with bridgeable outputs or whatever you like come to that.
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Hi Jerry, I'm 100% sure I have seen multi channel class T or D amps intended for what would be known as installation. In fact I have one here myself, an eight channel amp Lab Gruppen C20:8X, all £3K of it for £500 delivered

I suggest you do what I did when looking for similar, type "channel amplifier" into ebay search, you'll be surprised what you find given a little time...

There are sixteen channel amps out there

They do appear to be very flexible though, with bridgeable outputs or whatever you like come to that.
    I will keep on looking Mark but the ones on ebay mostly appear to be for cars and don't have any of the AV gubbins for channel balance.
    Jerry

I'm James.

The Teac Legacy 800 (5.1) uses 3 Tripath TA2022's & sounds pretty good with it so I'm told...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Jerry.

Cheers James,
    That's quite an old piece of kit, obviously didn't catch on as there doesn't seem to be a replacement
    Jerry

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Cheers James,
    That's quite an old piece of kit, obviously didn't catch on as there doesn't seem to be a replacement
    Indeed. AFAIK it sounds far better than it has any right to when partnered with decent speakers but it was sold in a package deal with matching dvd player & speakers with plastic enclosures... Much like Teac A500 stereo amplifier it was the one good part of a rubbish system.

They also did 3 channel power amplifiers using Tripath chipsets but I cant remember the model number - A Google will reveal all I'm sure !

I'm scott.

Not T amps , but hybrid very nice 5.1 amps

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dared4/dared.html

+ Reply to Thread