+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Identifying mystery cable

Default Identifying mystery cable

So, I found this interconnect in my cable box, but I don't know what it is or where it came from, and I don't even think I've ever used it. It's got no markings other than an arrow on one end for signal direction. As you can see, the sheathing's braided and the plugs are a locking type. The cable itself is either silver or tinned - tough to tell, as very little is visible. Any thoughts?
    I might plug them in later and give them a go.

Simon
    ------
    KEF Reference 201/2, Quad II Classic Integrated, Pure Sound P10, Pure Sound T10, Pro-Ject RPM 10, Pro-Ject 10cc, Goldring Legacy, Atlas Mavros speaker cable, NVA interconnects, Merlin Black Widow mains cables

I'm ChrisB.

the last mystery cable to appear here I nailed down tight with a sledgehammer(the Polk/Monitor Audio speaker cables), but I'm b****red if I know what that is.

Plugged them into the system last night and they did a pretty good job of muffling vocals. Might be that they've never been used and need some running in, but I'll have to do that some other time.
    Simon
    ------
    KEF Reference 201/2, Quad II Classic Integrated, Pure Sound P10, Pure Sound T10, Pro-Ject RPM 10, Pro-Ject 10cc, Goldring Legacy, Atlas Mavros speaker cable, NVA interconnects, Merlin Black Widow mains cables

I'm Andy.

They look a bit like those jobs from China / Hong Kong on ebay.
    They look good quality but I've never heard a set.

Andy,

I think that if they are muffling vocals they are not good. New unburnt-in i/cs tend to sound rough at the frequency extremes not muddled in the midrange.

I could be wrong of course but when a cable is just fundamentally wrong it doesn't improve very much at all with burn-in.

+ Reply to Thread