+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using 2 room analogue out on AV amp to power stereo amp

I'm Giles.

Default Using 2 room analogue out on AV amp to power stereo amp

Hi AOSers,

At the moment I have an odd setup:-

DAC Source --phono -> Denon AVR 3805 pre out --phono -> mini-t amp --> Monitor audio silver 8i.

To see the ports on the amp:-

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/atta...1&d=1302711697

I've just done this because it gives me a slight improvement for stereo while still allowing me to enjoy my movies. In terms of upgrades I've been thinking about either getting a better a/v amp. In which case do a/v amps generally come with this pre-out setup? or just getting a better stereo amp to improve on the mini-t.

The amps I've been looking at are the Dayens Ampino and TBI Millenia both coming in at £300-350 with current exchange rates.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/3_mini_amps_e.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dayens/ampino.html

http://www.stereomojo.com/Dayens%20A...inoReview3.pdf

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue62/millenia.htm

Hmm I've just been reading around this and it might be best for me to just get a t-amp with 2 inputs, plug the dac directly into it and use the pre-out from the denon to listen to 5.1.

Code:
    [netbook]
       | usb
       |
    [dac]                                   [ ps3 / htpc ]
       |                                               |
       | analogue phono markg               |optical cambridge audio spdif
    [cd input on stereoamp]        [Denon AVR 3805] -spk- [surround spkrs]
       |                                               | pre-out
       | naim spkr cable                         | chord analogue phono
    [front speakers]                   [aux input on stereoamp]
                                                       |
                                                       | naim spkr cable
                                                 [front speakers]
    This rules out the Millenia amp as it only has one input.
    Last edited by gilesw; 15-08-2012 at 14:26.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

You could always purchase one of Stan Beresford switch boxes, he makes a very high quality one indeed, not sure of the model number, but I'm sure a PM to him would be enlightening

That'd give you more inputs...
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Giles.

Heya Reid,

Thanks for the tip, that's something I hadn't thought of. I've been doing some testing of each amp individually this evening and the Denon avr seems to have more bass oomph whereas the mini-t is more revealing but not much in it really. I think what I need to do before I make any decisions is to get a decent stereo amp in there and see if it makes an appreciable difference. Hopefully I can borrow one off a friend or another Brighton based AOSer.

g.

synsei Guest

Your MA 8i's are probably not a great match for the Mini-T to be honest, they have a tendency to brightness if partnered with the wrong components. The Mini-T can be ruthlessly revealing of upper frequencies which may just tip the 8i's over the edge which in turn will overpower the bass making the speakers sound a little light in the bass and thin sounding.

I'm Giles.

I didn't find the mini-t too bright, just not a full sounding as the Denon. I do wonder about my speakers as they would appear to now be the cheapest part of my setup as I now have a young dac in there as a source. I modified them years ago on the advice of someone working at sevenoaks hi-fi of all things. I swapped the capacitors over in the crossovers for the ones he recommended and added some audio cladding. They're now 10 plus years old, I dunno if speakers have come along a lot since then.

I'm Giles.

I'm a bit of a novice with system building, I think I may have just lucked out with my choices in the past. I'm happy with my new single source so presumably I should get the amp next, probably the dayens ampino, then get some speakers which I should be able to demo by taking my own kit to a hi-fi shop. I like the look of the epic epos 5.

+ Reply to Thread