+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New tonearm

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

John Ruskin summed it up nicely, "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten".
    Ha - I like that and totally agree!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Price is of the 'if you have to ask' type;a technically clever design though.
    Price - yes it's costly. But expensive and satisfying (sonically, visually and engineering) has to be better than not-quite-as-expensive but unsatisfying?

The design is clever and works - amazing to watch and to hear, it tracks properly right across the record. The best bits of a linear tracker without the pumps, etc.

For those who don't know much about Thales - read here:

http://www.tonarm.ch/index.php?page=simplicity
    My System
    TW Acustic Raven AC TT, Thales Simplicity, Ortofon A90. Tron Seven Phono & Silver RCA. Einstein Turntables Choice Phono. Lindemann 820 CD Player + USB-DDC 24/192 S/PDIF. Luxman L-590 AII Int Amp. Cardas Gold Ref & Isoclean Focus Pwr & BS-13A4 II Power Bar mains. Jorma Design No. 3 IC, Harmonic Tech Cyberlight P2A & Wave, JPS Labs Superconductor V Spkr Cable. Peak Consult Princess Speakers + Elac 4PI Plus.2 ST + B&W PV1 Sub. Acustica Applicata DAAD 2 & Grand Prix Audio Monaco Racks.

I'm scott.

like avantegardes myself but same problem there just to big for my flat & bit pricey
    can,t wait for my new mini full range horns to arrive with active bass
    should be here in about 6weeks

I'm Robert.

Very very nice Lee, Bet it sounds amazing with the A90 on board ( A cart for dreamers like me )

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by daytona600 View Post
    can,t wait for my new mini full range horns to arrive with active bass should be here in about 6weeks
    Oooh and what might these be?! I have seen something like this promoted heavily by someone on forums - called BD Audio i think? He seems to be combining being a contributor but really promoting his own goods?!
    My System
    TW Acustic Raven AC TT, Thales Simplicity, Ortofon A90. Tron Seven Phono & Silver RCA. Einstein Turntables Choice Phono. Lindemann 820 CD Player + USB-DDC 24/192 S/PDIF. Luxman L-590 AII Int Amp. Cardas Gold Ref & Isoclean Focus Pwr & BS-13A4 II Power Bar mains. Jorma Design No. 3 IC, Harmonic Tech Cyberlight P2A & Wave, JPS Labs Superconductor V Spkr Cable. Peak Consult Princess Speakers + Elac 4PI Plus.2 ST + B&W PV1 Sub. Acustica Applicata DAAD 2 & Grand Prix Audio Monaco Racks.

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Very very nice Lee, Bet it sounds amazing with the A90 on board ( A cart for dreamers like me )

Cheers - the A90 is very special. I have had so may carts incl stone body Koetsu's, Miyabi, XV1s, etc etc - the A90 is probably (for me) the one i like the most - but it is not for everyone - it is very ruthless and revealing.
    My System

I'm openingabottleofwine.

An interesting arm design. Not unique, Garrard did much the same with their 'Zero 100' arm some forty years ago, which like yours, was based on the even earlier Burne-Jones 'pantograph' geometry.

Having recently spent some time looking at the deviation from tangential tracking by pivoted tonearms, an angular error of +/- 0.008 degree is impressive (compared with a typical angular error of 2 degree of most 9" tonearms, at the outermost edge of a 12" LP). However I wonder if this comes at a cost of rigidity: the cartridge has to have movable, pivoted (and thus non-rigid) coupling to the two arms of the pantograph.
    Barry

I'm Jason.

Nice bit of kit Lee...

Jason

I'm anOrgoneAccumulator.

Quote Originally Posted by 29029 View Post

New arm arrives - as does new member - greetings!
    I LOVE the idea of that arm! Would like to try one on my L-07D...
    Main System - T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; SME V/Ortofon Cadenza Blue; Audio Technica AT666EX vacuum disc stabiliser; Audio Technica AT636 Audio Insulator Feet. Phono: Whest PS30R. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909/Townshend Seismic Sink stands/Audiosmile Mk 2 Supertweeters. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-W1000; G&W TW-J1 head amp.
    Second System - Digital: NVA TFS. Amps: NVA P90 Pre. Speakers: B&O Beolab 6000 Active.

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    An interesting arm design. Not unique, Garrard did much the same with their 'Zero 100' arm some forty years ago, which like yours, was based on the even earlier Burne-Jones 'pantograph' geometry.

Having recently spent some time looking at the deviation from tangential tracking by pivoted tonearms, an angular error of +/- 0.008 degree is impressive (compared with a typical angular error of 2 degree of most 9" tonearms, at the outermost edge of a 12" LP). However I wonder if this comes at a cost of rigidity: the cartridge has to have movable, pivoted (and thus non-rigid) coupling to the two arms of the pantograph.
    Yes i'm aware of the history - perhaps not unique in design ethos, but unique in terms of accuracy, quality of engineering and on sale!

It works - and having done A/B dems with conventional arms, it became very clear that I had to go this route - obv a very expensive decision, but once heard, there was no going back.
    My System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast