+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Audioquest noise stoppers

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Inputs only for male chassis sockets by the look of them

Nice find by the way!
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Chris.

Thanks Mark. Looks like the tape will stay. At least I can use the male plugs for the inputs on the DAC, pre and power amps.

T'was MartinT what pointed us in their direction (earlier in this thread). They look remarkably like the Telos Audio Design caps and they just happen to be based in Taiwan as well. They sell a variety of caps (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Aud...=p4634.c0.m322). These are made of "brass copper" whereas Telos quote copper. Not sure whether it would make a difference.

Chris

I'm fuckoff.

They're for the male parts of the stereo/dac/whatever, so they'll work on that part of it.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by realysm42 View Post
    They're for the male parts of the stereo/dac/whatever, so they'll work on that part of it.
    Sorry Martin. Just to be clear, my input sockets all seem to be female therefore requiring male plugs.

Chris

MartinT Guest

Confirmed, XLR outputs are male, inputs are female.

I'm Dave.

I fancy trying these, but need 20 of the little buggers!

I'm Chris.

Well, I've placed 3 separate orders now for one lot (20 caps) of RCA caps and two lots of XLRs (2 caps each) at just a bit over £10 per order including carriage. Hope this will avoid any issues with import as mentioned above. Still waiting for the first order to arrive but I'll post some impressions when they arrive.

Chris

I'm Dave.

Got mine today, 20 of them from Taiwan. No import duties or hassles, nice and cheap!
    Mac OSX Amarra/Decibel → Musical Fidelity X-Can V8 → AKG K702/Grado SR80 Headphones

WD NAS → Naim ND5 XS → Densen B200 Pre → Focal CMS 50's
    Squeezebox Touch → HRT Music Streamer II+
    Also Rega P3/Rb300/Ortofon Blue → Pro-Ject Phonobox II → Amptastic Mini-T → Ruark Talisman II

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffy View Post
    Got mine today, 20 of them from Taiwan. No import duties or hassles, nice and cheap!
    Got mine last week plus 2 pairs of XLRs. Just got round to a short comparison. The QBD76 DAC has 2 AES balanced XLR inputs, a spare BNC SPDIF input and a BNC word clock input. You can see a pic of all the sockets here http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/fi...6%20manual.pdf if you're interested. Anyways, I capped the lot using cheap BNC to RCA converters from Maplins. I also capped all spare RCA inputs on the EAR 868 pre-amp and the XLR inputs.

I didn't have too much time to see what the differences were so I've only tried with and without on the DAC. Result was a small but clear lowering of the good 'ol noise floor. The guitar work on the left channel of Nick Drake's Three Hours (from Five Leaves Left) sounded more detailed with more texture and a possibly a little more prominent with the caps. Bass was slightly more recessed in the balance. Didn't detect any other changes particularly.

For what they cost, I would wholeheartedly recommend them. Don't expect night and day changes. And they keep the dust off.

Off to check out improvements to pre-amp.

Chris

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

No idea why but this thread just triggered either the most insane or sane idea I have ever come up with

I just don't know why it never occured to me previously

Mark is going to find out how much blue "fridge" paint he has left & if it's still usable
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast