View Poll Results: Please rate this album.

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 out of 10 - This is a "Classic"? Classic pish I reckon...

1 4.00%
  • 1 out of 10 - Not quite something I stepped in... but close!

0 0%
  • 2 out of 10 - The cover of Lilac Wine was ok, but I'd rather drink it or have some gorgeous curtains in the same colour

0 0%
  • 3 out of 10 - I preferred that bird off of X-factors version of Hallelujah, and at least she was worth a jump!

0 0%
  • 4 out of 10 - Not sure what the fuss is about, to be honest...Let's just top ourselves instead

0 0%
  • 5 out of 10 - Fair to middling: a bit like my IQ

0 0%
  • 6 out of 10 - Pretty good, actually! That's a back-handed compliment

3 12.00%
  • 7 out of 10 - Yep, I get it and I'll get it! Can you tell I'm rather excitable?

3 12.00%
  • 8 out of 10 - An awesome album; that's "awesome" like the smell of my socks!

8 32.00%
  • 9 out of 10 - Practically perfection - deserves the adulation of the assembled daftees!

4 16.00%
  • 10 out of 10 - A World-class album - deservedly gets full marks on the lilac-boy rate-o-meter

6 24.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 28.02.2012: Jeff Buckley - Grace (1994)

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Default Album Club: 28.02.2012: Jeff Buckley - Grace (1994)

Jeff Buckley - Grace (1994)

Spotify Link: http://open.spotify.com/album/6lo0ndbssQu7cPHIYFclvk

Wikipedia Links: Jeff Buckley - Grace - The Album

This week, we are using the "reserve-reserve" - unfortunately Will (WAD62) is incommunicado at the moment, and the first reserve is unavailable, too - so we've fallen back to an absolute classic which has been waiting in the wings for such an occasion - and not a moment too soon in my opinion!

Here's what Caitlin Moran has to say about Grace:

Here's what they say about Jeff Buckley: "He died too young". Here's why they say it: Grace is simply one of the most amazing things you can do with your ears and a little digitally-encoded disc. He inherited the voice of his father, the legendary Tim Buckley--seven octaves, each of them only just enough to cram his big feverish dreams into--but his music was all his own. Think Van Morrison's Astral Weeks on drugs--but then drugs could give some kind of comfort, and there's no comfort in Grace; just constant flux between crippling despair and an almost violent joy. When "Last Goodbye" unfolds it's third different middle-eight of Bollywood strings and Buckley's ecstatic scatting, it's hard to believe an ordinary human could have had a hand in something so extraordinary.
    Regularly featuring in "top albums of all time" lists, many people define this as an absolute classic album - and I am sure many of you know it intimately - however with this week's album club, here is an opportunity to revisit and comment on Jeff Buckley's only completed studio album, and perhaps reflect on his legacy and the tragedy of his loss. If you don't already know this gem of an album - then you could be in for a treat! Enjoy!

Last edited by Alex_UK; 28-02-2012 at 16:01.

I'm Nathan.

Default Great album

Like a lot of folk, I love this album.

One funny thing I did with this album was give it to each of my serious girlfriends, and based on their reaction to it, I could see how the relationship was going to pan out. I was in love with the album during my early twenties, and I had a hunch if she, whoever she was, loved me, she would at least give it a good listen.
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I'm Keith.

Oddly enough, I've not played this one for ages

Rather looking forward to re-visiting it
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm john.

I have it but believe it or not have never played it..will do that this week.
    John.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Quote Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
    I have it but believe it or not have never played it..will do that this week.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    Oddly enough, I've not played this one for ages

Rather looking forward to re-visiting it
    Funny how some albums go that way. Mind you, Hallelujah is one of my "hifi test tracks" and as I'm always farting around with something or other it gets a lot of plays!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by RochaCullen View Post
    One funny thing I did with this album was give it to each of my serious girlfriends, and based on their reaction to it, I could see how the relationship was going to pan out. I was in love with the album during my early twenties, and I had a hunch if she, whoever she was, loved me, she would at least give it a good listen.
    I reckon I'd still be single!
    Alex

I'm Philip.

I like this album, not played it for a while. Will get it out now.
    Main Sys. N.A.S DAIS; 12" Ace Space , Benz Micro Wood SL, Timesteep T-01MC, Quad Platinum DMP, Quad Platinum Pre, FM4,Quad Platinum Stereo, Quad ESL 63, PRC4 RCM, Chord XLR, Mark Grant G1000HD, Black Mamba's. Stax SRM600 SR507
    AVCambridge audio Blu-ray player, Pioneer SC-LX 57 Front 2 channels switched into Quad 606 Powering the ESL63s. Rear powering Celestion Speakers, LFE 2 cheap subwoffers.
    Man-cave Sys. A. GL75, RB300, ZYX R100H, Rega Planer 3, RB200, Rega Carbon Elys II,Quad 34, 606, Tangent RS4.
    Man-cave Sys. B. Revox A77, Akai 400D, Sugdon A48II, JPW Monitors.
    Gallery http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=341
    Classic Sys. Garrard 301, SME M2-9R, Benz Micro Wood SL, Quad Vena, 303, FM3, AM3. ESL 57. Quad II, 22, FM2 Rega Planet. Rega Phono
    Gallery http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=403
    Headphones, Stax SR507 (x2) /SRM600 Limited, Sennhieser HD424, Sennhieser HD558, AKGK105UHF, Beyerdynamic DT 931, Beyerdynamic DT231, Etymotic ER4 micropro.

I'm ILOB.

This album has been with played hundreds of times in my system, for me a classic and has been in my all time favourite albums ever since I heard it
    For me you can hear the fragile nature of Jeff on the album, but also because of this you hear so much emotion. His choice of covers are great giving his own stamp to them but his own songs you hear him exploring his thoughts and emotions dealing with his manic depression and father, yet somehow within that pain there is always hope and beauty
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Barry.

A classic album I have only recently discovered.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast