+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 459 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinning Today (Classical version)

I'm Jack.

Just ordered this Barbirolli 10-cd box set. I can't believe the treasures that are in here (many out of print) for a very reasonable price:
    Mahler, Elgar, Sibelius, RVW, etc

VPI / JMW arm, with Dynavector 20 (also Technics 1200mkII), Luxman 505u integrated, Marantz 8004 SACD/CD, TAD/Pioneer S-2EX speakers, GIK room treatments

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by JJack View Post
    Just ordered this Barbirolli 10-cd box set. I can't believe the treasures that are in here (many out of print) for a very reasonable price:
    Mahler, Elgar, Sibelius, RVW, etc
    Ah yes, I got that one. For years I thought I didn't like Glorious John's conducting, so I decided to give him a proper try-out with this set.

Yup !! -- I still don't like his conducting!
    .... You missed a bargain on ebay when I sold it on!

Quote Originally Posted by morris_minor View Post
    This afternoon:

Havergal Brian - Symphonies 10 and 21 (Leicestershire Schools Symphony Orchestra/James Loughran and Eric Pinkett), Unicorn LP RHS 313

It must be thirty years or more since this one got a play .

Amazing music, unlike any other composer, really.
    Yeah, a bit of a Brian revival going on. Loads of his symphonies coming out cheaply on Naxos.

And there was his 1st Symphony - the gi-normous choral Gothic symphony - at the opening night of the Proms a year or so back. ... also available on an excellent Naxos 2 CD set.

I'm gone.

Of late ....

Vaughan Williams 2nd Symphony - Barbirolli / Halle EMI Eminence LP. Why do I find Barbirolli so boring? This up for sale soon on my charity sale thread!

Vivaldi flute concertos. William Bennett - EMI Eminence LP. Another from yesterdays's charity shop haul. Pleasant enough.

Beethoven 3rd symphony. Klemperer 1955 mono EMI LP. Zounds! - superb Beethoven conducting!

Dvorak 9th Symphony (New World). Rostropovich / LPO EMI Eminenece LP. A Russkie cellist conducting a Brit orchestra in a Bohemian's American-inspired music. . I'm surprised at how good this is! ... and the top-notch sound quality doesn't hurt at all.

Dussek - piano sonatas. Markus Becker on a CPO CD. Kind of Haydn'esque-going-on-Beethoven, I guess, which is a huge compliment from me. Very enjoyable.

Penderecki Violin Concerto #2 - Mutter / Previn - a live recording off radio on a Mini-disc. Difficult music at first listen, but this grows & grows!

I'm Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Ah yes, I got that one. For years I thought I didn't like Glorious John's conducting, so I decided to give him a proper try-out with this set.

Yup !! -- I still don't like his conducting!
    .... You missed a bargain on ebay when I sold it on!

Oh no! Ah well, I really liked his Mahler 9 so I gave the box set a try for $35.

VPI / JMW arm, with Dynavector 20 (also Technics 1200mkII), Luxman 505u integrated, Marantz 8004 SACD/CD, TAD/Pioneer S-2EX speakers, GIK room treatments

MartinT Guest

His Mahler 9 is brilliant.

I'm gone.

Yes, Don't worry, Jack - it's just me & Barbirolli don't get on. He's music making is much loved by many!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Of late ....

Vaughan Williams 2nd Symphony - Barbirolli / Halle EMI Eminence LP. Why do I find Barbirolli so boring? This up for sale soon on my charity sale thread!

Vivaldi flute concertos. William Bennett - EMI Eminence LP. Another from yesterdays's charity shop haul. Pleasant enough.

Beethoven 3rd symphony. Klemperer 1955 mono EMI LP. Zounds! - superb Beethoven conducting!

Dvorak 9th Symphony (New World). Rostropovich / LPO EMI Eminenece LP. A Russkie cellist conducting a Brit orchestra in a Bohemian's American-inspired music. . I'm surprised at how good this is! ... and the top-notch sound quality doesn't hurt at all.

Dussek - piano sonatas. Markus Becker on a CPO CD. Kind of Haydn'esque-going-on-Beethoven, I guess, which is a huge compliment from me. Very enjoyable.

Penderecki Violin Concerto #2 - Mutter / Previn - a live recording off radio on a Mini-disc. Difficult music at first listen, but this grows & grows!
    Klemperer's reading of the Beethoven 3rd? That's about as exciting as watching paint dry and takes about as much time! (Only my opinion of course.)

I've just been listening to

Rachmaninov - Symphony No.2 in E minor, Op.27 and his Fantasy for Orchestra, Op.7, "The Rock". CSR Symphony Orchestra, cond. Stephen Gunzenhauser. 1989 Naxos 8.550272

The only version I have, picked up cheap in a charity shop, I can't say it has made much impression on me, though I enjoyed the Fantasy.

Will need to listen to it again to be able to form a more positive opinion.
    Barry

I'm Bob.

Of late ....

At the risk of seeming cheeky could I "pre-order" this, please, Jerry? Unless you change your mind of course.

I'm Keith.

I picked up a 6 LP Barbirolli box-set from the local charity shop a while back. It's still in the 'to be cleaned' pile (big pile) - will get my arse in gear and try and get a couple of dozen or so LPs cleaned over the weekend.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Klemperer's reading of the Beethoven 3rd? That's about as exciting as watching paint dry and takes about as much time! (Only my opinion of course.)
    Nah - not imo - Klemps only got turgid as he got into old age, the mono Eroica I was listening to was recorded 1955 or earlier, and is quite a different proposition to his later stereo recordings.
    ... mind you, I've got a bit of a soft spot for those, too! - the best of them have a kind of granitic strength that doesn't sweep you off your feet but does enthrall with its purposeful inevitability. But yes, quite a bit of late Klemperer is way too stodgy for me as well.

+ Reply to Thread