+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: <sigh> Digital to Analogue

I'm Alex.

have now created another thread for FLAC vs. WAV discussion. Feel free to wade in.

Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

Quote Originally Posted by bobbasrah View Post
    It is obvious that there are entrenched or conflicting opinions and experience over compaction/decompaction of digital files (audio in this instance) and software applications, but this is contributing nothing to Graham's original query, has been voiced as a diversion elsewhere, and really should be taken on in a new thread should the subject sufficiently merit discussion and examination...
    That's a bit rich from you to say the least .
    Opinions and experiences are two different things. I speak from personal experience with regards to FLAC, and so do many others. Those that offer the opinion that there is no data lost in FLAC are not speaking from experience, but have the foundation of their argument embedded in what they have read somewhere on the net or a magazine.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Opinions and experiences are two different things. I speak from personal experience with regards to FLAC, and so do many others. Those that offer the opinion that there is no data lost in FLAC are not speaking from experience, but have the foundation of their argument embedded in what they have read somewhere on the net or a magazine.

Does this mean that unless you have personal experience of something any reports pertaining to how something works for example are to be taken with a pinch of salt?
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Alex.

Stan,

No I'm not. I have direct, first-hand experience that is odds with your opinion. FLAC compression is completely reversable, and this is an experiment you can do yourself easily, so do it or don't do it, but please don't tell others that have and know the result that they are talking out of their hats as this is beyond doubt.

Now if you want to talk about why they might sound different then please enlighten us as exploring this might be enlightening and useful. Just out of curiosity, have you experienced this difference both via SPDIF and USB inputs on your products?.

Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    You may carry your presumption to the other thread specifically for this discussion Stan, and for the record it is not formed on the basis of what has been read, but rather the experiment to see for myself.

You may carry your presumption to the other thread specifically for this discussion Stan, and for the record it is not formed on the basis of what has been read, but rather the experiment to see for myself.
    Get a better system .

I'm Bob.

The buzz that you have discovered is obviously a PSU related issue, either because of PSU, Netbook regulators, or the usb/link to the DAC.
    I have no experience with Stan's DAC, but believe not to be USB powered, so it may be worth decoupling/chopping the power line on a spare/cheap usb cable to see if this is the cause. I am not sure whether the Caiman is galvanically isolated. Stan could perhaps comment on this with some knowledge and authority.

I'm Bob.

Hi Graham, done very quiet here now.
    Did you get anywhere with the annoying PSU buzz?

I'm graham.

Hi Graham, done very quiet here now.
    Did you get anywhere with the annoying PSU buzz?
    Work intervened

So tomorrow I have time. Definately gets much worse when I plug the power brick in
    Unplugging the USB cable and any sign of a hum goes away. Bloody annoying.
    However, on the bright side I have waded through a couple of Terrabytes of digital files and I actually have nearly four hundred Gigabytes sorted now, only another onethousand two hundred odd gigabytes to sort now

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by northwest View Post
    So tomorrow I have time. Definately gets much worse when I plug the power brick in
    Unplugging the USB cable and any sign of a hum goes away. Bloody annoying.
    However, on the bright side I have waded through a couple of Terrabytes of digital files and I actually have nearly four hundred Gigabytes sorted now, only another onethousand two hundred odd gigabytes to sort now
    You have a ground loop caused by your power brick being earthed. Find a way to disable the earth on it, with a laptop this SHOULD be safe. I have the same with my laptop. I created a 6 inch extension lead with no earth connection. Or use a galvanic isolator on the USB.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast