+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Centre speakers don't do bass huh?

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I do agree Neil, which is precisely why I sourced another NS1000 midrange driver simply so I could build a new speaker all with matching drivers from 100Hz upwards

Only difference will be the sub 100Hz frequencies that will use drivers that don't match. At those frequencies it hardly matters though
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Use the same speaker across the front or buy ones that are voiced the same. My RX centre sounds very good and has decent bass compared with my RX6 L/R floorstanders. Previously I had Ruark Talisman 11 L/R with their own centre speaker and it was not a decent match and changing to the RX trio made that all to obvious as now its seemless. If you cant get that then phantom mode works well enough as long as you dont have anyone off axis watching the film.
    Paul

Onkyo 875, Monitor Audio RX6 GW,Monitor audio RX centre GW,Monitor Audio BFX rears, REL QUAKE,Arcam CD73t CD ,Russ Andrews Yello mains cabling & PBJ interconnects,Sterling Black Mamba speaker cable.

The whole front & rear system will be matched driver wise. Below 100Hz it really isn't going to matter about matching the drivers, just as long as things remain in phase.

All tweeters will be from Yamaha NS1000M monitors, front left & right will be D'Appolito configuration using two NS1000M mids & 2 x Monacor 9" carbon bass/mids. Centre will use NS1000M mid & 2 x 7" Monacor carbon bass/mids.

Surrounds will also use NS1000M mids & a 7" Monacor carbon bass/mid in each enclosure.

The only difference will be in bass drivers. Left & right will each use 2 x CSS SDX15 in a isobaric arrangement, centre will use 2 x Peerless (Tymphany) P830452 10" & the surrounds will each use a single Peerless P830452.

If that lot doesn't match I don't know what will
    Last edited by Reid Malenfant; 22-01-2012 at 15:56. Reason: typo
    Bests, Mark

If it doesnt then Audessey room correction unit would make a hell of difference(where its good is up to you) if you can afford the price of the pro standalone unit and be bothered with the hassle of setting spot on. My Onkyo has a consumer version of Audessey built in and it made an amazing difference on my previous setup which consisted of the Ruarks mentions, REL quake sub and Monitor audio BFX reare run in Bipole mode due to being on the rear wall not the side.

Once I got the RX front end I recalibrated Audessey umpteen times and noted little difference on or off and prefer it without. Same room and layout so it shows it has place in some setups. I expect the 1K plus Audessey would improve things but if I have learned anything over the years you have to know when your happy at a given price point
    Paul

Onkyo 875, Monitor Audio RX6 GW,Monitor audio RX centre GW,Monitor Audio BFX rears, REL QUAKE,Arcam CD73t CD ,Russ Andrews Yello mains cabling & PBJ interconnects,Sterling Black Mamba speaker cable.

Hi Paul, I will be using DSP room correction, but only on frequencies below 100 - 150Hz. I am very happy with what a certain Antimode 8033c does, which you can read about here if you haven't already

I don't mind correcting in the bass region, but I simply don't want to anywhere else as I don't want to put everything through DSP & introduce a possible downgrade in audio quality

Bests to you
    Bests, Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123