+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we seeking the first signs of a culture of un-greed in our industry?

I'm Paul.

It does make me laugh when people try to tell you that a £1000 peice of hifi is low end and then show you their very high priced , supposedly high end offering and it sounds utter shite. I'm sorry but a £1000 is a lot of money to any normal person if its not to you then please make out a cheque for £1000 to me. Oh I see £1000 is a lot of money now is it....
    ~Paul~

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The Sony X-777ES CDP I use as a transport weighs 17kg and I can assure you that it's not full of bricks!
    My Sony SCD-1 weighed 26.5kg. I couldn't believe how heavy it was every time I picked it up. Beautifully made as the Ayre is, it's a lightweight in comparison (12kg).

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

My Sony SCD-1 weighed 26.5kg
    That's interesting, Martin. There must have been a dead body (or something) in there right enough because your 12kg Ayre trounced it

It's not all about weight, of course... Anyone can make something heavy, but I trust the point I was making is clear.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Thumbs up

Often it appears too that people buy kit purely for looks, but why do that? a bit sad. I believe that there are far too many companies making fools of people with more money than sense, and that much of the available "budget" hifi gear is on a par sonically with the high price "esoteric" gear. Now don't get me wrong here, there are I am sure lots of stuff that goes some way to justifying it's eye-watering prices,but fancy cases do not in themselves good hifi make
    Hear hear, Steve!

It does make me laugh when people try to tell you that a £1000 peice of hifi is low end and then show you their very high priced , supposedly high end offering and it sounds utter shite.
    Indeed, Paul. I've also experienced that many times myself

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Just noticed this...

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Popeck (Stereonow) View Post
    A bit PFM, that comment. Strangely, I can't find the time to read every thread. Would that I could. But I can't. Yes, ignorance still exists at Stereonow. If it didn't, then what would be the point of me seeking enlightenment, hmm?
    Howard, this is precisely why AOS has been very carefully 'catalogued' into relevant sections so that anyone seeking information on, say, turntables simply clicks on the 'Analogue Art' section where there is nothing but that type of discussion. Strangely enough, you'll find things written about the Technics 1210 in there - quite a lot actually!

And there's also the search facility which gives you access to the forum's complete archive...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Jerry.

I feel duty bound to mention the Trends TA 101 amplifier. At less than £150 its a real star providing you have reasonably efficient speakers. Its so popular tweaks are available in the way of better capacitors, binding posts etc.
    If you are looking for an amp for a smaller room or just a stopgap until something tasty comes your way then this one is worth trying.
    http://www.desktopaudio.co.uk/trendsta10.1.html

I'm Peter.

Howard,

It is indeed a shame that the offer has been pulled. I can't helping thinking that you and Steve got into one of those forum disputes because you inferred something that he may not have implied. Fora are a hotbed of miscommunication.

Anyway, I still love your editorial style and the perspective that you bring here.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.