+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zu Druid Clone

I'm Keith.

They look great Carl. How are they sounding?
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Carl.

Default Zu Druid Clone.

Hi,

How are they sounding?

I think they sound very good. It's early days still running in.

I have owned a pair of original Zu Druids and the wife hated them as they where tall and very glossy and expensive.

From memory these are as good as the Druid's but with more bass. I have used Mundorf caps and Mills resistors which Zu do or did as an upgrade.

The filter values are exactly the same as the Druid and internal cubic volume is the same, just different cabinet dimensions, internal cabling, speaker binding, etc.

I have compared these against a pair of ProAc Tablette Ref 8's with Rel Sub,

I'm selling the ProAc's.

Both of these speakers where running a Naim front end with power supply and Croft pre and power amps.

The Rel sub integrates better with the Druid clone, although it's not needed.

Considering these are stock Eminence drivers I am happily surprised.

A few people commented on the modifications that Zu do to the drivers and stated that clones would never be able to sound as good as Zu speakers, I'm not sure about that now.

These cost a fraction of the price, just time and effort and are completely tweakable/modable/upgradeable.

There are a pair of Druids not far from me, I'm trying to set up a bake off.

I'll keep you posted.

Carl.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12