+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Purite Audio's' Monarch' Turntable

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by WOStantonCS100 View Post
    What interests me most is the new quartz chip.
    Me too. As far as I know, the techie modifiers to date have more or less left the electronics alone (power supply excepted of course) and have concentrated on the mechanics (bearing, platter, feet etc). Maybe it's this overlooked aspect that may provide the next big performance boost...
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by purite audio View Post
    Thanks for the link Paul, I have tried a couple of mats on it, but as Rob from Inspire told me, the bare platter sounds best.
    I remember preferring the bare copper of my old TW ,anyhoo the New TT is super, just as Rafael says in the review, the speed stability I remember from my old SP10 but a much richer tone.
    Keith.
    Keith how does it compare with the TW Raven you had.
    Paul.

I'm Keith.

Freem Hi, impossible to say, everything has changed in my system since the TW, only the speakers remain the same and they will change soon,
    Re the Monarch, platter plinth, power supply and bearing are all completely new, the control circuit has been improved ,Inspire have done a cracking job.
    Keith.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    Me too. As far as I know, the techie modifiers to date have more or less left the electronics alone (power supply excepted of course) and have concentrated on the mechanics (bearing, platter, feet etc). Maybe it's this overlooked aspect that may provide the next big performance boost...
    How would tinkering with the pcb alter anything kind sir, after all that is all that's left after platter, mat, feet, bearing, base plate etc has been changed?

There is the issue of power supply final regulation stage being installed inside the turntable which may prove to be a significant up-grade which I (and my co-designer) are currently on with for my MkII Technics PSU.

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    How would tinkering with the pcb alter anything kind sir...
    Huh? Do you mean upgrading components that directly control the rotation of the platter? I look at it this way. You can wear shoes with lots of cushion in them, for a smooth walking experience; or, you can tell your brain to walk lightly and gently. Both would have even more effect. I see changing the power supply as putting on more comfortable shoes. However, if your brain is saying, "Stomp! Stomp!", there's a more fundamental issue. Addressing the control circuit seems, to me, to be getting at the fundamentals. I'm not saying a great psu isn't important. However, if the "real" issue lies in the control circuit, there is only going to be so far one can go. The returns will stop at the limitiations of the control circuit.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm Paul.

David,

Internal final regulation stages have already been applied to the SL1200 and yes it can be a significant upgrade depending on the quality level of the regulation that is applied.

Biff,

Quite right. The quality of the control circuit is crucial to the performance of the SL1200, however without a really good power supply the control circuitry will not operate at its best level of performance. The two are reliant on each other. Good control circuitry and poor power supply will give mediocre performance just as poor control circuitry and good power supply will give mediocre performance. Attention to both is essential to go the last mile. Fortunately the control circuit design is good in the SL1200.

Generally,

The SL1200 component quality could have been better so there is a lot of scope for upgrading at component level. The quartz crystal is essentially the clock reference for all the timing requirements of the control circuitry. Fitting a new 4.193MHz crystal with tighter frequency tolerance and lower temperature coefficient should be a good upgrade.

Also components do tend to deteriorate with age, particularly electrolytic capacitors and components operating at high temperatures. If you have an old older SL1200 model it would be sensible to replace certain components, especially electrolytic capacitors, taking the opportunity to upgrade at the same time. Just like servicing a car and tuning the engine for optimum performance.

Regards
    Paul
    Paul Hynes Design
    paulhynesdesign.com
    High Performance Power Supply upgrades
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16655

I'm Simon.

Where does Bob get the 'new' 1210 motors from? Do Technics still supply them as complete motor replacement kits like they used to now that they don't make em anymore?

I'm Keith.

Simon H, don't know, but I can ask, when you remove the platter everything looks new an twinkly.
    KR Keith.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm Jostein.

I read the review on the Inspire Monarch, and it was quite interesting. The review lists these in addition to the Monarch are built on the Technics SL1200:

Timestep Evo
    Origin Live (which one?)

and there is also KAB's version. Are there any others doing this?

Brinkmann are one of few other manufacturers who does turntables with Direct Drive motors like the Technics TT's. Anyone checked out these like the Oasis?

http://www.brinkmann-audio.de/main.p...=oasis&lang=en

They also have a power supply using valves:

http://www.brinkmann-audio.de/main.p...=roent&lang=en
    My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123