+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone compared Whest PS.30r and Ayre P-5xe phono stages?

I'm Will.

Default Anyone compared Whest PS.30r and Ayre P-5xe phono stages?

Hi all

After faffing around with various mid-range phono stages such as Heed, Lehmann and so on, I have decided to try to buy the last phono stage I will ever need. I did get hold of an EAR 834P, but I didn't like what it did with the bass, especially since a large portion of my collection is electronica and other electronic music, so I have decided to stick to SS phono pres. I also listen to a lot of 70s soul, jazz and funk. The groove is king round these parts!

The Whest PS.30r and the Ayre P-5xe both have had stellar reviews and are around the same price point, so I am surprised not to have found any direct comparisons online. I like that they both have the option of balanced XLR outs, as my custom preamp has balanced inputs, as does my RME soundcard for ripping purposes. I'm not sure if I would use the Ayre's balanced inputs, although I am curious about them! It is difficult for me to get either of them in for an audition as I live in Portugal, so I need some experienced heads with experience of these units to give me the low down, if at all possible.

I am aware that MartinT on here uses the Whest and Selfaddict uses the Ayre, so any input from them would obviously be nice. Also I don't know if either of them have ever done a direct comparison?

My cartridges are a 2M Black (MM, obviously) and a soon-to-arrive Shelter 5000 (MC). My speakers are ATC SCM50 actives.

Many thanks in advance.

I'm Andrew.

This should be interesting cos I have ATC ASL50's and I also intend at some point to get the Whest 3.0xx or maybe even something a little more exotic if funds permit.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread