+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rory Gallagher vs Jimi Hendrix

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

You're not going to start arguing with yourself are you Chris?
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    but hopefully you are able to grasp the crux of my biscuit.
    Surely the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe...?
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I choose both.
    They're both better than each other
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I'm with both the Chris's on this!
    Barry

I'm Martin.

When Hendrix was asked what it felt like to be the best guitarist in the world he replied 'I don't know - ask Rory Gallagher'.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Richard.

Are Godzilla and Fog Monster in Velvet Revolver? Or is that the crotch of my mars bar? (I imagine Marianne F. said something like this).

I suppose compare and contrast would be better. It seems to me that if Jimi Hendrix thought Rory Gallagher was a better guitar player then he must have been influenced by him in some way. If you listen to both of them then you can see some similarities.

For sure Hendrix is a stunning electric guitar player but for some reason he doesn't move me as much as he should. But he stills moves me a hell of a lot. It sometimes seems like he's too flashy, a bit too much fireworks. In a phrase, party music sometimes.

Rory Gallagher seems to be more understated. Maybe a bit more the thinking person's guitarist. "It takes repeated listenings to appreciate him" sort of thing.

Riesling vs Champagne maybe.

I'm Nick.

If you listen to both of them then you can see some similarities.
    In that they both were infuenced by the same earlier generation players. Whatever way you slice it, you end up with Robert Johnson and chums, though thats not to discount what latter players added to the form.
    Nick.

Location: Swaledale, North Yorkshire + The Valley of Longevity

I'm Toooldnowtogrowup.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Conroy View Post
    Are Godzilla and Fog Monster in Velvet Revolver? Or is that the crotch of my mars bar? (I imagine Marianne F. said something like this).

I suppose compare and contrast would be better. It seems to me that if Jimi Hendrix thought Rory Gallagher was a better guitar player then he must have been influenced by him in some way. If you listen to both of them then you can see some similarities.

For sure Hendrix is a stunning electric guitar player but for some reason he doesn't move me as much as he should. But he stills moves me a hell of a lot. It sometimes seems like he's too flashy, a bit too much fireworks. In a phrase, party music sometimes.

Rory Gallagher seems to be more understated. Maybe a bit more the thinking person's guitarist. "It takes repeated listenings to appreciate him" sort of thing.

Riesling vs Champagne maybe.
    I love Rory Gallagher .. the first time I saw him live he singlehandedly rescued Weeley Festival in front of 100,000 people in 71' or 72' when a headliner on one of the nights didn't show and he played an extra set in the pouring rain and got ALL of the people up and dancing and spirits uplifted. He was a fiery and superlative performer indeed in those days. I have his early work with Taste which I still think is his finest work.
    BUT .... he cannot compare to Hendrix .. he never produced a "Little Wing" or a "Castles made of Sand" .. Hendrix's technique and songwriting were quite simply incomparable .. he did stuff noone else did .. and noone has done since ....
    Rory, for all his talent and energy and sheer feel and sincerity of his music could not fly quite like Hendrix ... but then who can ..
    Brian
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Smile, breathe and go slowly ..........................

I'm ChrisB.

If you're looking to find emotion in Hendrix' playing, you should play 'Little Wing' from 'Hendrix in the West' loud on a decent stereo. I think this performance is the single best thing he ever recorded & I've been going on about it for years. I was happy to see my view reinforced in a recent review in HFN last month on the re-release of the album.

You Tube probably won't do it justice, but it's all I've got to demonstrate what I mean here:

MartinT Guest

And for an alternative (I know it's not Hendrix but that doesn't diminish the song), the Sting version from Nothing Like the Sun. Oh, and Stevie Ray Vaughan's from The Sky is Crying.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12