+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CD Killed The Great Album

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    I know, it's only rock 'n' roll, but it saves us from contemplating the really serious stuff...

Pete
    I'll drink to that
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Perhaps it's no longer served up, and needs to be looked for...and as you get older the tips start drying up, anyway here's a few to try

Caribou
    FourTet
    Battles
    Do Make Say Think
    Mogwai
    Flying Lotus
    God Speed You Black Emperor
    Grizzly Bear
    TV on the Radio
    The Earlies
    Eels
    The Cinematic Orchestra
    Bonobo
    Quantic
    Polar Bear
    Animal Collective
    Acoustic Ladyland
    ...oh and of course Radiohead

Cheers Will I will check some of them out although you lost a bit of cred with mentioning Radiohead because they are total @##<
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Cheers Will I will check some of them out although you lost a bit of cred with mentioning Radiohead because they are total @##<
    ...each to their own Macca, but there's a bit of variety there anyway

Actually I think you mentioned Fleet Foxes earlier, so you might also like Bon Iver, The low Anthem, and possibly Bat for Lashes too...it's always hard to second guess peoples preferences, one man's meat etc.
    Last edited by WAD62; 29-07-2011 at 13:17.
    Cheers, Will

I'm Jostein.

I agree with the OP that many CD albums are too long. If a CD album verges over 50 minutes it is getting close to being too long. I know from recording myself that putting together a release also involves a selection process, and you should not put everything on it because you have room. That's one of many things that are great with vinyl, the format decide the total size.

I would say that if someone feels for releasing a double album they should put that on 2 CDs instead of cramming everything into 1. I have seen CD albums verging close to 75 minutes, which is not really necessary. Put the classics on the album, and let the lesser songs, B-sides and outtakes be released later on their own album.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123